Nintendo's Top 10 Best-Selling 3DS And Wii U Games Revealed
Despite being available for less than two months, Pokemon Sun and Moon are nearing the top of the 3DS list.
As is to be expected given the lack of major new releases toward the end of 2016, the ordering of the top 10 lists hasn't changed much as of December 31. The one notable exception comes on 3DS, with November's Pokemon Sun and Moon making it all the way to No. 3 spot. This bumps The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D off the top 10.
These charts combine sales for the different versions of the same Pokemon game; with 14.69 million units sold as of December 31, only Mario Kart 7 (14.82 million) and Pokemon X/Y (16.06 million) have sold more on 3DS than Sun and Moon managed in about six weeks. The system itself now stands at 65.3 million units sold.
Mario Kart 8 remains the best-selling Wii U game with 8.26 million units sold. That's comfortably ahead of the second-best seller, New Super Mario Bros. U (5.62 million). It remains an impressive total given that total Wii U hardware sales have only reached 13.56 million units.
Other news to emerge following the release of Nintendo's earnings include a possible price for Switch's online service, its plan to release two to three mobile games per year, and NES Classic Edition sales figures. Nintendo also claims there are now 100 games in development for Switch.
You can check out the updated sales totals below. These are current as of December 31 and include games bundled with systems.
- Pokemon X/Y -- 16.06 million
- Mario Kart 7 -- 14.82 million
- Pokemon Sun/Moon -- 14.69 million
- Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire -- 13.68 million
- Super Mario 3D Land -- 11.17 million
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 -- 11.09 million
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf -- 10.45 million
- Super Smash Bros. for 3DS -- 8.59 million
- Tomodachi Life -- 5.58 million
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon -- 5.2 million
- Mario Kart 8 -- 8.26 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U -- 5.62 million
- Super Mario 3D World -- 5.47 million
- NintendoLand -- 5.16 million
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U -- 5.16 million
- Splatoon -- 4.76 million
- Super Mario Maker -- 3.89 million
- New Super Luigi U -- 2.89 million
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD -- 2.11 million
- Mario Party 10 -- 2.04 million