GameSpot may receive revenue from affiliate and advertising partnerships for sharing this content and from purchases through links.

Nintendo Switch Sells 2X As Many Systems At Launch Than Wii U In UK - Report

The system reportedly moves 80,000 units for its first weekend.


The Nintendo Switch is off to a stronger start than the Wii U, in the UK at least, it seems. reports today that the console has sold around 80,000 units during its March 3-5 opening weekend.

This is double the number of systems (40,000) that the Wii U reportedly sold for its first weekend in 2012.

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
This video has an invalid file format.
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to GameSpot's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Now Playing: Nintendo Switch Video Review

The Switch's 80,000 launch figure for the UK is not as good as the 3DS (113,000), while it is nowhere even close to the launches of the PS4 (250,000) or the Xbox One (150,000), said.

Bear in mind that the new opening-weekend Switch figure does not come from Nintendo. Nintendo has not announced any information on Switch sales for the UK or other markets around the world.

Keep checking back with GameSpot for more.

In the UK, Switch launch title The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was the second best-selling game of last week, behind only Sony's highly touted PS4 exclusive, Horizon Zero Dawn. Almost 80 percent of Breath of the Wild's sales were for Switch, the remaining 20 percent sold on Wii U.

In the US, retailer GameStop said the Switch had one of the strongest launches in recent years, though, again, no specific unit sales figures were provided.

For more on the Switch, check out GameSpot's review of the console here.

Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email

Join the conversation
There are 58 comments about this story