Nintendo Switch Port Of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze Announced With Release Date
Donkey Kong is back.
We'll begin emailing you updates about %gameName%.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, the platformer that came exclusively to Wii U in 2014, is getting re-released for Switch, Nintendo has announced. The port will include a new mode when it launches for Nintendo's hybrid console on May 4.
The entire game will be playable in local co-op, with one Joy-Con each, though further details are scarce for the new game right now. We do know, however, that the new mode will star Funky Kong. Donkey Kong, meanwhile, is also the star of new Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle DLC coming this spring.
We enjoyed the Wii U platformer when it first launched, though it wasn't without its problems. In our Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze review, critic Mark Walton wrote: "If the regular levels were as inventive as the boss battles, then Tropical Freeze would be a surefire hit, or at least a game that demands more of your attention. No matter how much I was looking forward to seeing DK in HD, it's difficult to maintain that enthusiasm when the end product plays it so safe: even the visuals fail to make an impact. They're nice enough, but like the level design, the environments are mostly bland. While you could argue that the visual style is true to the series, I think even traditionalists wouldn't mind something with a little more pizzazz behind it. As it stands, this a sometimes fun but mostly uninspired and unimaginative entry in the Donkey Kong series."
During the surprise Nintendo Direct a number of other big announcements were made. These include free Super Mario Odyssey DLC and a Dark Souls remaster for Switch. You can watch the full Nintendo Direct here or see a roundup of all the new Nintendo Switch games announced here. Our full coverage is listed below.
- Watch Today's Surprise Nintendo Direct, Which Is All About New Switch Games
- All The New Switch Games Announced At Today's Nintendo Direct
- Dark Souls Remastered Coming To Nintendo Switch
- Nintendo Switch Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze Port Announced, Release Date Confirmed
- Free Super Mario Odyssey DLC Update Coming To Nintendo Switch, Here's What It Adds
- Zelda Action Game Hyrule Warriors Announced For Nintendo Switch, With Breath Of The Wild Costumes
- New Mario + Rabbids DLC Makes An Iconic Nintendo Favorite Playable On Switch
- Nintendo Switch Re-release Of The World Ends With You Announced
- New Pokken Tournament DX DLC Brings Fresh Characters To Switch Version
- New Nintendo Switch Mario Tennis Game Revealed, Release Window Announced
- Payday 2 Nintendo Switch Release Date Confirmed