Nintendo Switch Data Transfer: How To Move Data To New Switch
Here's how to get all your Nintendo Switch data to that new Switch OLED model.
The Nintendo OLED version is available now, and there is a good chance you already own a Switch if you're buying the upgraded version. If that's the case, you'll want to do a Nintendo Switch data transfer so your save data and user information can come with you.
How to transfer Nintendo Switch data to a new system
First, despite the cloud save backup offered by the Nintendo Switch Online service, this isn't the same as having your entire profile and user data stored on the cloud, and a number of games aren't compatible with cloud saves. The most foolproof way of transferring all of your data to a new Switch is to use the recommended transfer system, which requires having both consoles along with a number of other implements. Follow the steps below.
God of War Ragnarok Official Release Date Cinematic Trailer GTA 6 & GTA Trilogy Changed Rockstar Remaster Plans | GameSpot News VALKYRIE ELYSIUM | New trailer | PS5, PS4, PC Steam Skull and Bones | Livestream Teaser (July 2022) NBA 2K23: Michael Jordan Edition Smite x Nickelodeon Crossover Event Fall Guys - Abstergo's Challenge Trailer JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle R - Jolyne Cujoh Character Trailer JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle R - "Eat Your Heart Out" Trailer Worldview Trailer | Tower of Fantasy GWENT: Black Sun | Launch Trailer Best Games Of The Year (So Far)
- As detailed on the Nintendo Help site, both consoles will need to be updated to system 4.0.0 or higher and connected to the Internet.
- Pick the data management option in the system settings and select to Transfer Your Save Data, then choose to send it on one console and receive it on the other.
- If you're planning on using the Switch OLED exclusively from here on out, you'll also want to transfer your user data. To do this, go to the original system, select Users in the settings and then Transfer Your User data.
- Click through until you can select "Source Console" and then go through the exact same steps on the Switch OLED, only selecting "Target Console," instead.
- Sign in with your Nintendo Account, and the transfer process should start.
If you do plan on using your old Switch, perhaps in another room or as a handheld-exclusive system, do not transfer your user data. Instead, de-register your current console as the primary system on your account and make the Switch OLED your primary console. This will let you keep playing digital games on both systems, provided you are signed in if you are using the older model.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.