Nintendo says 3D unlikely for Wii successor
American boss Reggie Fils-Aime tells CNN the House of Mario probably won't enter the new dimension with its next home console.
This past Sunday, Nintendo entered a new dimension with its latest portable, the glasses-free 3DS. The system quickly became Nintendo's fastest-selling portable of all time. However, the Japanese game company now says it is unlikely that 3D will be a part of its next home console.
The news stems from Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime, who told CNN that the next hardware product from Nintendo will be a Wii follow-up and that 3D likely will not be a part of it.
"Glasses-free is a big deal," Fils-Aime said. "We've not said publicly what the next thing for us will be in the home console space, but based on what we've learned on 3D, likely, that won't be it."
Further, Nintendo director and producer Hideki Konno said the company is resisting 3D implementation simply because it currently requires glasses.
"I think at Nintendo, we realize that any sort of goggle-type 3-D technology was not going to work," Konno said. "In order to make 3-D technology viable with video games, we thought we needed to have glasses-free 3-D."
As for the Wii successor, earlier this month brokerage firm Sterne Agee said it "would not be surprised" to see Nintendo show off its next console at this summer's Electronic Entertainment Expo, which runs June 7-9.