New Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse SDCC Footage Debuts At Comic-Con
Welcome to the Spider-Verse.
The new movie Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse has a huge amount of buzz thanks to its unique art style and starring role for the beloved Miles Morales. At San Diego Comic-Con 2018, Sony showed off some exclusive footage that went beyond the trailers we've already seen.
In the footage, Miles has apparently just gotten his powers, and seems mostly confused by them. At school, he gets his hand tangled in Gwen Stacy's hair, and wonders whether his strange new abilities are the result of finally hitting puberty. Later, the clip revealed that in Miles' universe, Peter Parker is dead. Miles is visiting Parker's grave in a makeshift Spider-Man outfit when he's approached from behind by an older Peter Parker, voiced by Jake Johnson. Miles quickly figures out that the other Peter is from an alternate dimension, and requests that he teach him how to be Spider-Man.
Finally, the footage showed Spider-Gwen, who introduces herself to the other two as "from another, another dimension." And three more Spider-Mans debuted: Spider-Man Noir, voiced by Nic Cage; Penny Parker, with her mech-like robot SPDR, voiced by Kimiko Glenn; and Spider-Ham, a cartoonish, costumed pig voiced by comedian John Mulaney.
Sony showed the footage during the studio's panel in Hall H, SDCC's largest venue. Moderated by Jessica Chobot, the panel included actors Shameik Moore (Miles Morales), Jake Johnson (Peter Parker), and Hailee Steinfeld (Gwen Stacy), directors Rodney Rothman, Peter Ramsey, and Bob Persichetti, and producers Phil Lord and Chris Miller.
"He's a black Spider-Man, black and Mexican, I think that that's very powerful and iconic," Moore said of his character Miles Morales.
In the movie, Morales intersects with Spider-Men from alternate universes, including an older, jaded Peter Parker.
"It's Peter Parker at 40, it's Peter Parker with a bad back..and who's not sure if he still wants to be Spider-Man, and what it means to be Spider-Man after the excitement of being Spider-Man," Johnson said during the panel. "That just got really heavy, folks. But that's Peter Parker. It's chubby Peter Parker."
Hailee Steinfeld, who plays Gwen Stacy, said she's excited to play a female superhero.
"I get to play a female superhero, which was pretty cool--and not just any female superhero, but the first Spider-Woman," she said. "That was so exciting to me, and the fact that she really is the toughest and the coolest and the smartest and the most capable one in the room, and she knows it."
Lord and Miller said they insisted on a Miles story when Sony approached them to make an animated Spider-Man movie. "This story's been told a lot of times. We love Miles Morales," Lord said. "We thought this was an amazing way to tell the Spider-Man story."
"The thought of this movie was, 'What if these different stories intersected? What would it do, how would it shake them up, and what would happen if these people met?'" Lord said.
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse hits theaters December 14.
San Diego Comic-Con 2018 Coverage
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 1
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 2
- Best Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018 Day 3
- Best Marvel Cosplay From Comic-Con 2018
- All The Miserable, Discarded Electric Scooters We Saw At Comic-Con 2018
- The Rarest And Most Shockingly Expensive Funko Pops On Sale At Comic-Con 2018
- DC Universe Titans Trailer: F*** Batman
- Everything We Learned About DC Universe
- All The Exclusive Funko Pop Figures You Can Buy At SDCC
- Doctor Who's New Sonic Screwdriver Revealed Alongside New Trailer
- Star Wars The Clone Wars Animated Series Is Back In New Trailer
- Cool-Looking Spider-Man PS4 Pro Bundle Announced
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly Movie Trailer Reveals Some Big Fights
- DC Collectibles Reveals Toys From Batman, Justice League, And More
- This Huge Lego Thanos Demands You Bow Before Him
- Netflix's Iron Fist 2 Gets Release Date, Teases Daughters Of The Dragon
- DC Holds Weird, Cult-Like Event To Promote Heroes In Crisis
- James Gunn Fired From Guardians Of The Galaxy 3
- What's Up With The "F*** Batman" Line In The New Titans Trailer?
- Andrew Lincoln Confirms The Walking Dead Season 9 Will Be His Last
- Netflix's Disenchantment: Everything We Learned About Matt Groening's New Show
- Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse Footage Debuts
- Venom Debuts New Footage, Teases Spider-Man Crossover
- Guardians of the Galaxy Star Dave Bautista Is "Not OK" With James Gunn Firing
- Fantastic Beasts 2 Footage Introduces Nicolas Flamel At Comic-Con 2018
- The Lego Movie 2 Comic-Con Footage Shows The Two Sides Of Chris Pratt
- The New Godzilla: King Of The Monsters Trailer Is Dope
- Shazam Trailer Makes Exclusive Debut
- Wonder Woman 1984 Panel Addresses The Chris Pine Question, Shows Footage
- Aquaman Trailer Finally Arrives, Exclusive Footage Shows Classic Costume
- Star Wars Figures From Sideshow Look Incredible
- Why Alita: Battle Angel's Eyes Are So Big, Trailer Coming Soon
- The Purge TV Show Trailer Teases A Night Of Mayhem
- DC's The Flash Season 5 Trailer Reveals New VillainSupergirl Season 4 Trailer Reveals New Suit
- DC's Legends Of Tomorrow Season 4 Airs This Fall
- Sideshow's Avengers: Infinity War And Black Panther Figures Are Amazing
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org