The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
New Sonic The Hedgehog Merch Announced For 30th Anniversary Next Year
The speedy hedgehog is getting a new wave of Funko Pops, a comic book miniseries, and more collectibles to celebrate 30 years since Sonic's first appearance.
It's been a big year for Sonic the Hedgehog, with a wildly successful live-action film release and a sequel already planned. But with the 30th anniversary of Sonic's first appearance in a video game coming up in 2021, next year is sure to bring even bigger things for the speedy hedgehog. It's not even 2021 yet, and Sega has already announced a huge wave of merchandise coming this December as part of the 30th Anniversary Collection for Sonic, including toys, apparel, and more. While not available just yet, we should start seeing some of the merch in stores in time for the holidays.
It's a fascinating mix of new products, from a G Fuel energy drink collaboration to a jewelry collection and a coffee table book called Sonic Encyclo-Speed-ia. Getting new and weird Sonic products to celebrate a series milestone is something we've come to expect from Sega, so it's nice to see that little tradition is continuing.
While images for most of the new products aren't available just yet, here's a quick overview of some of the Sonic-inspired merchandise you'll be able to snag soon:
- Sonic Encyclo-Speed-ia -- Published by Dark Horse Comics, a full-color, hardcover historical retrospective covering the 30-year history of Sonic the Hedgehog video games is coming soon. You can preorder it now for $50.
- New Pop Vinyl figures -- Naturally, new Funko Pops are on the way. The new Pop Vinyl collection will feature classic versions of Sonic, Tails, Silver, and more.
- Toys and collectibles -- Jakks Pacific, Inc. will offer a new collection of action figures and plush toys.
- Jewelry collection -- Finally, what you've always wanted: official Sonic jewelry. The upcoming collection features 3D designs, hand-set stones, and quality craftsmanship, according to Sega, and will have a "hip-hop influence."
- Classic Sonic comic book miniseries -- IDW Publishing will release its first "Classic Sonic" adventure as a special and launch a new miniseries as well.
- Collectible enamel pins -- Sonic and gang will be available as collectible FigPins, which are made to be displayed or worn.
- Sonic energy drinks -- The G Fuel-Sonic collaboration flavor "Peach Rings" will be relaunched next year in an exclusive 30th-anniversary collector's box.
"Over the past 30 years spanning multiple generations, Sonic fans have created memories with their speedy Blue Blur. In order to commemorate the most iconic elements of the Sonic universe, we have partnered with some of the top licensees in the industry to produce collectible Sonic the Hedgehog merchandise that our enthusiastic and loyal fans can cherish for years to come," said Ivo Gerscovich, chief brand officer of Sonic the Hedgehog and SVP of Sega of America, in a press release.
When price and more information for the upcoming Sonic anniversary collection is available, we'll round up everything you need to know here at GameSpot. In the meantime, another beloved video game character is celebrating his 35th anniversary this year--check out all the new Super Mario merchandise out now or coming soon.
The Best Deals And Sales This Week
- Black Friday 2020: Thanksgiving Day Store Closings, Retailer Ads, And Deals To Expect
- Walmart Black Friday 2020 Ads Revealed
- Dell's Black Friday Sale Kicks Off Early With Laptop And PC Deals
- PS4 Halloween Sale Is Live Now, Includes Resident Evil 2, Days Gone, And More
- GameStop Pro Day Sale Is Live Now: FF7 Remake For $39, B2G1 Free Funko Pops, And More
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com