New Rainbow Six Siege Update Nerfs Lion, Fixes Recoil On The Test Server
A new test server patch tones down Lion.
One of Rainbow Six Siege's two newest Operators is in line for a nerf. A test server update has been rolled out with a number of changes and fixes, the most notable of which is an adjustment to Lion, one of the two characters added in the recent Operation Chimera update.
Lion is an Attacker whose gadget is a drone that can mark enemies through walls, providing an outline that highlights their current position. Many players feel the character is overpowered, and Ubisoft seems to agree. In a post on Reddit running through the patch notes for the test server update, it states, "We understand that Lion is not in a good place right now." A more in-depth explanation will be forthcoming, but for now, it simply outlined the balance changes it's testing.
For starters, if you're a Defender, you can stop moving after Lion uses his Scan to make your outline disappear. Lion also loses one charge, giving him two total uses in a round. And finally, the cooldown in between uses has been extended from 10 seconds to 20.
The other major change involves what Ubisoft calls "weapon sight misalignment," which causes bullets to not end up where the targeting reticle suggests they will. According to the patch notes, this update includes a fix that resolves the problem, which tends to impact automatic weapons most. You can see this demonstrated in a video on Ubisoft's website.
"The goal is to offer a clean, tight shooting system that does not cheat players out of a great show of skill, or on the contrary, register a headshot when the player is aiming at the torso," a blog post explains. "We prototyped several technical solutions to correct the issue over the last year, but they all had significant drawbacks. We were not comfortable moving forward with the majority of those solutions.
"The solution we landed on shifted how recoils behave, making them trivial to control so all recoils had to be re-done in the new system. We tested some major adjustments to the foundations of the recoil equation on the TTS in September 2017. Following feedback from that Test Server session, we changed how we were going to go about addressing the issue. As such, we have moved away from predictable recoil patterns, and found another solution that does not involve predictable recoil."
Other changes in this patch include a fix for Mira not being affected by Grzmot explosions if she is holding her Black Mirror and bullets passing through an indestructible wall in the Bank map. You can see all of the changes, along with known issues, in the patch notes below. There's no word on how soon the contents of this update will be pushed over to the live game on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. The test server will be live until March 30 at 1 PM PT / 4 PM ET / 9 PM BST.
Rainbow Six Siege Test Server Update Patch Notes
We understand that Lion is not in a good place right now. We will have more insight coming in an overall game balance blog at a later date. For the Test Server, the following changes can be tested.
- Lion's Scan will stop displaying your outline as soon as you stop moving.
- Reducing the number of charges; 3 to 2.
- Increased cooldown between each charge; 10 to 20 seconds.
Weapon Sight Misalignment
We are implementing a fix that will solve the weapon sight misalignment. More details can be found here.
Please note that we have purposefully left out/obfuscated some exploits from the list. These will be included in the final patch notes prior to the 1.2 patch going live.
- Fixed - In 2F Executive Bedroom on Plane, only the first layer of the floor can be destroyed.
- Fixed - Kapkan will remain stuck by entering in DBNO right after deploying an EDD.
- Fixed - Mira is not affected by the Grzmot explosion if she is holding a Black Mirror.
- Fixed - On Bank, at B Lockers, bullets pass through an indestructible wall between B Lockers and B Secure Hallway.
- Fixed - Drones will not register slow mouse movements.
- Excessive lighting is present in the MVP screen during Thermite's victory dance.
- Defuser can fall under the map if the player carrying it is killed while in rappel at EXT Pool on Coastline.
- The EDD will not give 40 damage if is positioned on the lowest point possible on a door.
- Ela operator will lose functionality if her gadget will be destroyed while trying to pick it up.
- Concussion effect affects operators through LOS floors.
- Players can see through smoke cloud grenades if it's far away.
- Attacker can plant the defuser on top of a shelf in 2F Armory Lockers on Border.
- Shield animations have the shield at different angles in first vs third person, allowing a nitro cell to kill the player when they think they are protected.
- When switching operators during Operator Select, the image of the previously selected operator might remain on the new selection.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com