New Bourne Movie Begins Production, Matt Damon Pictured On Set
Bourne to run.
Production has begun on the the fifth Jason Bourne movie, which will mark Matt Damon's return to the action series.
Producer Frank Marshall tweeted the first on-set image from the film on Monday, September 8, revealing that shooting started that day.
The as-yet-untitled film also sees the return of Paul Greengrass to the director's chair. Greengrass helmed the first two sequels to 2002's The Bourne Identity--The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum--but both he and Damon left the series after the third part in 2007. There was an attempt to reboot the franchise with 2012's The Bourne Legacy, with Jeremy Renner in the lead role, but it struggled to match its predecessors both critically and commercially.
In November last year, Damon confirmed that he and Greengrass would be returning to the series, telling E! News: "It'll be in 2016 when the movie will actually come out. Paul Greengrass is going to do another one and that's all I ever said. I just needed him to say yes."
Last month, in an interview with Buzzfeed, the star elaborated on the direction that the new movie would take.
"We always looked at those movies as really about the Bush presidency, and so we kind of had to wait for the world to change," he said. "Without giving too much of it away, it's Bourne through an austerity-riddled Europe and in a post-Snowden world. It seems like enough has changed, you know? There are all these kinds of arguments about spying and civil liberties and the nature of democracy."
The new Bourne adventure will also star Vincent Cassell, Julia Stiles, and Tommy Lee Jones, and is scheduled for release on July 29, 2016.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com