New Battlefield Confirmed For 2016 Release

Senior EA exec reaffirms company's yearly shooter strategy.

129 Comments

EA has once again confirmed a new entry in the Battlefield series will ship in 2016.

During a recent investor call, chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen was asked about key future titles for the company.

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
This video has an invalid file format.
00:00:00
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to GameSpot's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

"What we've said is that our intention over the next couple of years is to have a first-person shooter as one of the core titles," he replied. "This year it's Star Wars: Battlefront. Next year, it's another Battlefield title."

EA CEO Andrew Wilson previously discussed a new Battlefield in October 2014: "Battlefield 4 continues to add new players and engage existing fans a year after launch," he said.

"As a result of the extended services and content updates that we provide, it's clear that players want to experience the games we're delivering for longer periods of time. Looking into next year, we will ensure that our players have enough time between releases to fully explore the depth and innovation in our shooter titles."

A month later it was teased that the Battlefield series will return to "military-style game" and is already shaping up to be a "fun, new Battlefield."

Star Wars: Battlefront is being developed by DICE, the team responsible for the core entries in the Battlefield series.

During the earnings call, Electronic Arts COO Peter Moore also revealed that Star Wars Battlefront is enjoying "extremely strong preorders," but didn't share any specific numbers.

Continuing, Moore said the title's showing at Gamescom 2015 will be a "pivotal" moment and EA expects to "see a tremendous response" from it.

EA expects a strong sales performance from Battlefront, and has predicted it will sell 9-10 million units by March 31, 2016.

Battlefront launches on November 17 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. This is just a few weeks before J.J. Abrams' Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awkens hits theaters. EA has told fans not to worry about the game being delayed.

All Battlefront purchasers will receive a free expansion called The Battle of Jakku, which is based on the upcoming movie.

Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email news@gamespot.com

Join the conversation
There are 129 comments about this story