The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
NBA 2K21 Launch Guide: Editions, Bonuses, And Next-Gen Upgrade Details
NBA 2K21's release date and pre-order information have been revealed.
NBA 2K21, the first basketball game that will be on the next generation of consoles, launches today, September 4, for PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC. Some key aspects of the game are different this year, however; the standard edition of NBA 2K21 costs $70 on next-gen consoles, making it the first game for PS5 and Xbox One X to cost more than the usual $60 MSRP. Additionally, you can't upgrade NBA 2K21 from current generation consoles to next-gen consoles for free unless you purchase the special Mamba Forever edition for $100. Depending on what edition you buy, you'll get some nice bonuses with your purchase, too.
The Mamba Forever edition commemorates the late Kobe Bryant and rounds out the trio of cover athletes for NBA 2K21. Portland Trailblazers star Damian Lillard is the cover athlete for current generation consoles, while young phenom Zion Williamson will fittingly be on the cover of the PS5 and Xbox One X standard edition.
While other next-gen crossover games such as Madden NFL 21 and Assassin's Creed Valhalla have announced free upgrades from current to next-gen, 2K Games hopes you go for the expensive Mamba Forever edition instead. If you know you want the game at launch and on your new PS5 or Xbox One X, you'll save $30 by grabbing the Mamba Forever edition as opposed to purchasing the standard edition twice. It's worth noting that the upgrade to next-gen is the standard edition of the game, so you won't double-up on the digital goodies that come with the Mamba Forever edition.
NBA 2K21 cover athletes and price
- Damian Lillard, current generation standard edition -- $60
- Zion Williamson, next-gen standard edition -- $70
- Kobe Bryant, Mamba Forever edition (both gens) -- $100
The next-gen version of 2K21 is more than a simple upgrade, though. 2K Sports claims to be building the PS5 and Xbox One X version from the ground up. Thankfully, progress in some key areas will transfer from current to next-gen (Xbox One to Series X and PS4 to PS5). MyTeam, the card-collecting online mode, will share progress along with your Virtual Currency wallet.
If you're interested in buying NBA 2K21, we've rounded up all of the details you need to know before making your purchase.
NBA 2K21's standard edition is currently available in physical and digital formats. Digital orders are only available on current generation consoles at this time, though. Anyone who buys the standard edition on current generation or next-gen platforms will get the following bonuses:
- 5,000 Virtual Currency
- 5,000 MyTeam Points
- 10 MyTeam Promo packs (one per week)
- 6 MyCareer Skill Boosts
- 5 pair MyCareer Shoe Collection
- Damian Lillard Digital Collection
- 3 MyCareer Gatorade Boosts
NBA 2K21's $100 Mamba Forever edition comes with a ton of digital goodies to use in-game:
- 100,000 Virtual Currency
- 10,000 MyTeam Points
- 10 MyTeam Tokens
- 60 MyCareer Skill Boosts
- 30 MyCareer Gatorade Boosts
- 40 MyTeam Promo Packs (10 at launch, then three per week)
- Sapphire Damian Lillard and Zion Williamson MyTeam cards
- MyPlayer Shoe Collection
- MyPlayer backpack
- Kobe Bryant Digital Collection
Pre-Ordering the Mamba Forever edition at GameStop also got you a commemorative medallion. As of launch, however, that offer is no longer available.
Video Game Preorder Guides
- Watch Dogs Legion Pre-Order Guide: Release Date, Next-Gen Upgrade Info, And More
- Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Order Guide, New Release Date, And Collector's Editions
- Yakuza: Like A Dragon Pre-Order Info: Release Date, Deal, And More
- Demon's Souls PS5 Preorder Details: Price And Where To Buy
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition, Price, And More Preorder Details
- Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Pre-Orders Live Now: Price And Editions Detailed
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.