Mortal Kombat X PC Patch Pulled After Erasing Save Data
Hopefully you weren't able to download today's update.
Mortal Kombat X on PC today received an important patch seeking to resolve many of the game's technical issues, making good on a promise from developer NetherRealm Studios. Unfortunately, the patch itself caused a new problem serious enough that the update has been pulled from Steam's servers.
Following the patch's release earlier today, numerous players began reporting that their save games had disappeared. Roughly two hours later, a new update appeared on Mortal Kombat X's Steam Community hub explaining, "We are temporarily removing the patch until we can pinpoint the cause of save data loss. We are actively working on this and will keep everyone posted as we work towards a fix. We sincerely apologize for this disruption."
Making matters worse, the patch was, among other things, supposed to add a "save data safety check to try to eliminate save data loss."
Anthem Quick Video Review Anthem PS4/Xbox One HDR Update And More Detailed - GS News Update What Anthem Doesn't Tell You Fortnite Prisoner Skin Evolves Into Something Cool Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 - Official Endgame Trailer Here's Where To Find Every Waterfall In Fortnite Battle Royale Black Ops 4's Operation Grand Heist & What You Want To Know Dead Or Alive 6 - 20 Minutes Of Story Cinematics And Gameplay Dead Or Alive 6's Challenge Mode Is A Great Way To Become A Better Fighter Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles - Official Trailer No Straight Roads - Introduction Video Tour Fallout 76 Gets 2019 Roadmap And Stash Size Patch - GS News Update
This has proven to be frustrating news for MKX players, who have already been dealing with numerous issues, including crashes, for weeks. There have been problems since launch in mid-April, when many people found themselves unable to download and install the game. This was due to the use of a new Steam installation system meant to allow the game to be played without all of its files being downloaded.
The PC version of MKX was developed externally by High Voltage Software.
Today's patch was accompanied by a note stating, "We've been monitoring the forums and are aware of the issues players are encountering. We appreciate the constructive feedback from you, the community. We want you to know that there is ongoing support behind the scenes and it's important to us that Mortal Kombat X is a fun experience for all of our players. We will be posting announcements more frequently to keep you aware of upcoming fixes."
There's no word on when the patch will be made available again or if there will be any way to recover lost saves. In the meantime, you can check out the patch notes below for what the update should do once it's back online.
- Added the free Klassic Sub-Zero costume.
- Display drivers should no longer crash during online play.
- A crash will no longer occur after a full rotation of players in the lobby during Round Robin matches.
- Fixed a crash that some users experienced during the first QTE in the story.
- Game no longer crashes when players attempt to join a game through Steam or in a room.
- Fixed startup crash on high end systems (those with > 8 cores).
- Fixed a crash that would occur during recorded match playback.
- Save data safety check to try to eliminate save data loss.
- Fix to prevent save game data from being corrupted while closing the game.
- Walk away animations now appear at the end of the character selection process.
- The levers in Shao Khan's Tomb will now activate.
- Shinnok's Flick Trick Fatality no longer experiences a significant framerate drop.
- Functionality is no longer lost while watching a match replay.
- Pre-game lobbies will populate 10 players into Faction Battle matches.
- Kombat Kards will now display correct Icons, Backgrounds, and Borders in a KOTH match.
- Fatality inputs no longer change into QTE inputs during in Online Tower Battles.
- Game no longer desynchronizes when a player selects a character that their opponent has not unlocked.
- D'Vorah's cape no longer moves when she's killed.
- Game no longer freezes when opponent in online closes the game.
- Title remains responsive while story cinematics are loading.
- Fixed leaderboards and Kombat Kards not updating past the top players.
- After entering replays with the controller, the player can use the keyboard when watching a replay from an online match.
- Loading screens now display before progress bar fills up.
- Diagonal arrows are shown instead of keys when Alternate Control is enabled.
- Sometimes saving a Custom1 preset displayed as being saved for Custom1-4 in the character select and pause menu controls screens.
- The UI arrows will now switch sides on a tagged move when the character switched position with his opponent.
- Chat room names will now display properly (instead of SteamIDs).
- Fixed input callouts when switching between keyboard and USB controller after entering a KOTH match.
- Additional graphical fidelity options.
- General Matchmaking improvements.
- Performance improvements
- Improved online stability
- Multiplayer invite improvements
- Gameplay fixes and balancing
- Various Kombat Kard fixes
- WB Play fixes
- General bug fixes
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org