Mortal Kombat 11 Has No Loot Boxes, Neo From The Matrix Won't Be Added
Mortal Kombat 11 is almost here.
Mortal Kombat 11 is one of the next big games coming out, and it's due out soon, as it's set to launch on April 23 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Nintendo Switch. Game Informer sat down with series creator Ed Boon and asked him 166 rapid-fire questions about the game and the franchise in general, along with some other silly and unrelated topics.
It's a great interview, and you should watch it here, but here are some quick takeaways from Boon:
- There will be 25 characters on the roster at launch.
- There will be "30-ish" characters overall; presumably the rest are DLC.
- There are no Quicktime events in the story.
- No cross-play at launch; "we are definitely not against the idea."
- Mortal Kombat X sold almost 11 million copies; it's Boon's best-selling game ever.
- There are multiple endings to the story.
- The best restaurant in Chicago is Pizzeria Due.
- A script exists for the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie, and Boon said he'll veto the idea if it's not good enough.
- The Nintendo Switch version will run at 60FPS.
- He's had a conversation with Marvel about making a Marvel fighting game or a Marvel vs. DC fighting game.
- Neo from The Matrix was nearly in Injustice 2; he won't be in Mortal Kombat 11.
- The Mona Lisa is the greatest work of art.
- He really enjoyed Dragon Ball FighterZ.
- There will be no loot boxes in Mortal Kombat 11.
- He wants to make a new IP; an online game that never stops. "Something where you're nervous to not play the game for too long," he says.
The newest confirmed playable character for Mortal Kombat 11 is Cetrion, who is an Elder God connected to Earth. You can find out more about her in GameSpot's coverage here.
GameSpot recent went hands-on with the Switch version at PAX East 2019, and while it was a noticeable visual downgrade, we found the game ran and played perfectly fine on Nintendo's console. You can read more about the title in our Mortal Kombat 11 pre-order guide.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.