Microsoft's HoloLens Is "Something Different" Than Oculus or Morpheus
Company says existing VR technologies are "truly exciting," but HoloLens is different.
Top New Games Releasing On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week -- November 10-16, 2019 Biggest Celebrity Cameos We Found In Death Stranding What Red Dead Redemption 2 On PC Is Like To Play Need For Speed Heat: Winning A Street Race Gameplay Death Stranding - Here's When You Get Your Assault Rifle Pokemon Sword & Shield Reveal 2 New Pokemon Before Launch - GS News Update Battle for the Grid - Eric Myers DLC | GameSpot Live GameSpot’s 2019 PS4 Holiday Gift Guide Pokemon Sword And Shield - Galar Research Recap Trailer Hearthstone: Descent of Dragons Expansion Trailer Red Dead Redemption 2 Publisher Files New Trademark - GS News Update Death Stranding - Combat Veteran on Hard Mode S-Rank
Existing virtual reality technology such as Oculus Rift or Project Morpheus are "truly exciting," but they aren't direct competitors to Microsoft's new HoloLens technology, according to a company representative.
Asked if Microsoft viewed Rift and Morpheus as competitors to HoloLens, a Microsoft spokesperson said: "Today's efforts in VR and AR are truly exciting. What we are talking about is something different."
The Microsoft rep went on to explain what the company thinks will set HoloLens apart from other virtual reality and augmented reality technologies.
"Holographic experiences on Windows are about delivering a mixed reality of both your digital world and your real world," the spokesperson said. "We are integrating holograms into the world around you--transforming the ways you create, connect, and explore. We hope holographic experiences on Windows 10 will help drive continued innovation in this category."
These comments tally with those from HoloLens designer Alex Kipman, who suggested yesterday during the Windows 10 event that Microsoft wasn't intending to compete directly with established VR companies such as Oculus.
"Oculus, Magic Leap, Glass developers and everyone else, we humbly invite you--come create holograms with us," Kipman said.
For more on HoloLens, check out the video above and the image gallery below. And check back later for GameSpot's impressions of the HoloLens technology.
Windows 10 Briefing: All the News
- Windows Holographic Revealed
- More Microsoft Franchises Coming To Windows 10
- Microsoft Won't Force Games To Support Cross-Platform Play
- Xbox One Game Streaming Targeting Full 1080p/60fps
- Take A Closer Look At Microsoft's New Augmented Reality Tech, Windows Holographic
- Xbox Boss Teases New Battletoads
- Microsoft "Really Look At" PC-To-Xbox One Streaming
- In Pictures: Windows Holopgraphic
- Xbox One to Integrate Windows 10 OS
- PC Can Stream Xbox One Games
- Fable Legends Coming to PC, Supports Xbox One Cross-Platform Play
- Windows 10 Free Upgrade Offer Revealed
- Windows 10 Xbox App Revealed
- Cortana Coming to Windows 10 PCs
- Universal Windows 10 Apps coming to Xbox One
- Internet Explorer's Successor, Project Spartan, Revealed
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org