Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch Detailed, Addresses Some Big Flaws
Mass Effect: Andromeda developer BioWare has detailed an upcoming patch that includes "technical fixes" and also "adds a number of improvements" to the game that fans have asked for.
As detailed on the Mass Effect website, the patch will be available on April 6. Among the changes are the ability skip the lengthy transition animations that play out when traveling between planets on the galaxy map. BioWare has also improved "the appearance of eyes for human and Asari characters."
Decryption Keys, which are used to bypass the time-consuming Sudoku-like puzzle that frequently appears in the game, will cost less to purchase and will be more readily available at merchants.
Other big complaints that will be addressed in the update include "improving localized voice over lip sync" and tweaks to main character Ryder's movement when he or she is running in a zig zag pattern. Here's the full list of changes coming in the April 6 update:
- Allowing you to skip ahead when travelling between planets in the galaxy map
- Increasing the inventory limits
- Improving the appearance of eyes for humans and asari characters
- Decreasing the cost of remnant decryption keys and making them more accessible at merchants
- Improving localized voice over lip sync
- Fixing Ryder's movements when running in a zig zag pattern
- Improving matchmaking and latency in multiplayer
- Improved tutorial placement
- Single-player balance changes: Ammo crates, armor, weapons, nomad, profiles, attacks, and progression
- Multiplayer balance changes: Weapons, cover, and enemies
- Added option to skip autopilot sequences in the galaxy map
- Improved logic, timing, and continuity for relationships and story arcs
- Improved lip-sync and facial acting during conversations, including localized VO
- Fixed various collision issues
- Fixed bugs where music or VO wouldn’t play or wasn't correct
- Fixed issue where global squad mate banter sometimes wasn't firing on UNCs
- Fixed issue where player was unable to access the Remnant Console Interface after failing decryption multiple times
- Fixed issue where fast travel is sometimes disabled after recruiting Drack until the player reloads a save
- Fixed issue where Ryder can become stuck in the start of Biotic Charge Pose
- Fixes issues related to some saves
- Fixed issue where objective sometimes becomes un-interactable for players in multiplayer
- Streaming and stability improvements
Looking further ahead, BioWare will be "rolling out additional patches which will go even deeper and look to improve several areas of the game." These areas include variety in character creation and improvements to character appearance, among others. Take a look at the full list of areas BioWare hopes to address in the list below.
- More options and variety in the character creator
- Improvements to hair and general appearance for characters
- Ongoing improvements to cinematic scenes and animations
- Improvements to male romance options for Scott Ryder
- Adjustments to conversations with Hainly Abrams
BioWare has also said it will "continue to build on the APEX missions that have been running since launch" by introducing new maps, characters, and weapons. For multiplayer, April 6 will see the launch of three new chapters collectively called "The Remnant Investigation."
On March 29, following the launch of Andromeda and a wave of criticism relating to its technical flaws, BioWare released a statement assuring players it is "working around the clock to gather information and plan out solutions to improve and build on Mass Effect: Andromeda."
"In many ways, Andromeda feels like a vision half-fulfilled. It contains a dizzying amount of content, but the quality fluctuates wildly," reviewer Scott Butterworth said in his critique.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org