Major Australian Retailer EB Games Closing Multiple Stores Across The Country
Employees will be offered new opportunities where possible.
EB Games, Australia's largest game chain store, is closing several locations around Australia. In a statement given to Kotaku Australia, the retailer has said that 19 unprofitable stores around the country are closing; however, 20 stores have disappeared from their online store locator.
"Where possible, staff were offered the opportunity to work in surrounding stores," the statement reads. It also notes that several more "large format" stores, combining EB Games and pop culture outlet Zing, will be opening around the country.
According to Kotaku, the following stores look set to close:
- Bribie Island EB Games QLD 4507
- Brickworks Marketplace EB Games SA 5031
- City Cross EB Games SA 5000
- Cleveland EB Games QLD 4163
- Dandenong EB Games VIC 3175
- Dianella EB Games WA 6059
- Hallet Cove EB Games SA 5158
- Hamilton EB Games VIC 3300
- Harbourtown Adelaide EB Games SA 5950
- Inala EB Games QLD 4077
- Inverell EB Games NSW 236
- Kalamunda EB Games WA 6076
- Lutwyche EB Games QLD 4030
- Majura Park EB Games ACT 2609
- Rockdale EB Games NSW 2216
- Tamworth EB Games NSW 2340
- Underwood EB Games QLD 4119
- Winston Hills EB Games NSW 2153
These stores are expected to close by the end of January 2020, and will be discounting stock from 20-60%. It is unclear whether any of the 40 EB Games stores in New Zealand will be affected.
EB Games is the Australian subsidiary of major US retailer Gamestop. Their parent company has fallen on hard times itself, and had to layoff over 100 employees in 2019, but there's a plan in place to turn things around.
They previously carried the Australian edition of Game Informer, which was cancelled in early 2019. The first store (then named Electronics Boutique) opened in 1997, and as of now there are over 450 stores in operation in Australia with over 5000 employees.
Our thoughts are with any and all affected staff.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org