Madden 18 Update Adds A Big New Feature And More
EA continues to update the PS4 and Xbox One game.
Months after its release in August, EA Sports continues to update and expand Madden NFL 18. The game's newest update is out now on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, adding a major new feature and online stability improvements, among other things.
The big new feature is called "Audibles on the Fly." As the name suggests, this lets players make a change to an audible at any point when they are on offense or defense. EA says this will add a further level of strategy for advanced-level players. The idea is that you'll be able to make ever further quick adjustments when you see how the other side lines up.
You can access the "Audibles on the Fly" feature by selecting plays from the Play Call screen. Here is a rundown written by EA about how the system works:
"Once you have selected a formation and are at the Play Call screen, simply press LT/L2 to bring up the Replace Audible menu. The replace audible menu shows the list of audibles that are currently set for the selected formation. It’s easy to use:
- While at the replace audible menu, select what play in the audibles list you want to replace
- Once a play is selected from the Replace Audible menu, you will then be taken to the replace play level of the Play Call screen where you can select the play you want to add to the active list of audibles for that set to replace your previous selection.
- Once audibles have been selected, users will return to the primary Play Call screen to select the next huddle play. After breaking the huddle, users will have access to all of the new audibles via the audibles menu at the line of scrimmage for the current set."
EA also pointed out that you can use an Audible on the Fly as many times as you want in a game, while you cannot call an Audible on the Fly for formations that cannot be audible-d such as Wildcat. EA also confirmed that Audibles on the Fly work with all of Madden 18's game modes, including Ultimate Team. Be sure to read the full blog post to see a complete rundown of the Audible on the Fly feature and how it affects the game.
The new Madden 18 patch also makes general gameplay changes and fixes some of the lag that could occur in the Play Call screen. You can see the rest of the patch notes below, as written by EA Sports.
Madden NFL 18 December 11 Patch Notes
- Added additional performance penalties when using defensive players on offense
- Tuned so that defenders with the Disciplined penalty trait will not jump offsides when Pass Rush Coach Adjustment is set to Balanced
- Addressed an issue around facemask penalties triggering when the Strip Ball Coach Adjustment was set to Conservative
- Addressed Play Call screen lag issue
- Added logic for Franchise leagues to turn Injuries ON via settings when using the Competitive Game Style
- Addressed issue making player skills appear locked after spending XP to unlock them when scouting for the Draft
- Addressed issue causing players' stats and ratings to occasionally change when scrolling down on the menu during a Fantasy Draft
Online Stability Improvements
- Deployed new technology that will help mitigate some of the disconnect issues. If you or your opponent are experiencing a network issue, you will see messaging in the UI letting you know of the problem and will attempt to reconnect you.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org