King of Fighters 14 Release Date Revealed
New screenshots also released for PS4-exclusive fighting game.
The first trailer introduces the various teams that are represented in the 3-on-3 fighting game, along with battle system features such as Climax Cancel, Max Mode, Rush, and more.
The second trailer, which is above, showcases a few characters from the roster, including Benimaru, Ryo, Robert, and Terry, among others. In total there are an impressive 50 characters in the roster. An image of all the characters in the game can be found in the screenshot gallery at the bottom of this story.
The final video, which is below, features the Classic Kyo DLC costume. This is available to those that preorder.
Interestingly, the trailers also reveal the Japanese company behind the game has reverted to its old name, calling itself SNK instead of SNK Playmore, and bringing back the old "The Future Is Now" slogan.
The game's official website has highlighted some key features:
- A Brand New KOF Saga: The KOF Series' storyline has been continuing over the Orochi, Nests, and Ash story arcs. KOF's rich story has not finished, and returns in a brand new exciting arc with KOF XIV
- KOF’s traditional game system is back!: Select your favorite 3 fighters from the game's gorgeous character roster, and fight to victory via KOF's traditional and most praised 3-on-3 team battle game system
- Ultimate combos!: The combination system has evolved in KOF XIV, allowing players to strike up to three Super Special Moves in the same combination for astonishing damage
- A refined MAX MODE!: KOF Series' emblematic Max Mode returns in KOF XIV with significant improvements! Activating the Max Mode gives access to EX Special Moves for unlimited combo and damage possibilities
- A new feature that can be enjoyed even by newbies: The newly introduced Rush feature allows even novice players to perform combos by mashing the square button
- A plethora of game modes: KOF XIV features a large variety of game modes such as Story Mode, Vs Mode, and a Gallery Mode for the best KOF experience ever.
- A new fighting game experience: Duke it out with as many as six people (three players on each team) in VS Online Party Battle. Feel the heat of an authentic fighting game tournament experience via PSN.
- Learn techniques from the best players!: Low experienced players can learn how to become stronger with master players via the Online Training feature. Both players can communicate with each other with the common goal of strengthening the disciple
- Various communication possibilities!: KOF XIV will make full of PlayStation 4's online functions such as the Online Profile and Comment features in order to foster player communication and communities
As announced previously, KOF is exclusive to the PS4. The last game in the series, King of Fighters 13, was released on Xbox 360 and PC, but as of yet SNK has not expressed any intentions to make KOF 14 multiplatform.
KOF 14 was announced during the PlayStation press conference at Tokyo Game Show. Although brawls take place on a 2D plane from a side-on perspective, the game is being built with 3D assets.
"This brand new KOF numbered series title features high-quality 3D visuals, however [it is] staying true to the gameplay roots of the series," SNK Playmore said at the time.
Check out some screenshots from the game below:
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com