Indiana Jones Returning in 2019 With Harrison Ford and Steven Spielberg

"Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history."

Comments
Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
This video has an invalid file format.
00:00:00
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to GameSpot's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Disney will release a new Indiana Jones movie in 2019, the company announced today. The fifth film in the iconic adventure series will open on July 19, 2019, starring Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. Disney also confirmed that the movie will be directed by Steven Spielberg, who helmed all four previous films.

No Caption Provided

Fans may also be happy to learn that Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall, veteran Indiana Jones producers, will also be attached to the new film in the same roles.

"Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can't wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019," Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said in a statement. "It's rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn't be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven."

The new Indiana Jones movie does not yet have a title and while story details are also being kept under wraps. In addition, Disney did not share any details about when the movie would start shooting or what other actors will appear in it. Assuming the schedule remain intact, Ford will be 77 when the movie opens.

The last film in the series was 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Although the film was considered a disappointment by many fans, it grossed more than $786 million worldwide. Altogether, the Indiana Jones series has brought in nearly $2 billion at the global box office across all four releases.

In a December 2015 interview, Spielberg said he could not imagine another actor portraying the legendary archaeologist.

"I don't think anyone could replace Harrison as Indy. I don't think that's ever going to happen," he said. "It's certainly not my intention to ever have another actor step into his shoes in the way there have been many actors that have played Spider-Man or Batman. There is only going to be one actor playing Indiana Jones and that's Harrison Ford."

When Disney bought Lucasfilm back in 2012 for $4 billion, the House of Mouse not only acquired the rights to George Lucas' mammoth Star Wars series, but also the Indiana Jones franchise. The new movie was previously discussed in May 2015, at which time Kennedy said a script hadn't been written yet.

Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email news@gamespot.com

  •   View Comments (0)
    Join the conversation
    There are no comments about this story