<i>Godfather</i> film director whacks Godfather game

Francis Ford Coppola is none too pleased with Electronic Arts' adaptation of his classic mob movie.

Comments

Related
The Godfather
Follow

When Electronic Arts announced it was adapting The Godfather last year, many cinephiles wondered how the operatic mafia drama would translate into a game. Then this year, it was revealed that Robert Duvall, James Caan, and the late Marlon Brando had all recorded voice-overs for it. The involvement of the stars gave the project a big boost in the credibility department, raising hopes for the game.

Now, however, the man primarily responsible for The Godfather film is speaking out against the Godfather game. According to several wire services, writer-director Francis Ford Coppola expressed his displeasure with Paramount Pictures for selling off the game rights on the American Movie Classics cable network show Sunday Morning ShootOut.

"I knew nothing about it. They never asked me if I thought it was a good idea," he reportedly said. His ire was further riled when he was given a preview build of the game by EA. "They use the characters everyone knows, and then for the next hour they shoot and kill each other. I had absolutely nothing to do with the game, and I disapprove," he was quoted as saying.

The Godfather game is slated for a fourth quarter 2005 release for the PC, PSP, Xbox, and PlayStation 2. EA, its developer and publisher, has said it will be rated "M" for Mature. GameSpot's previous coverage has more information on the film adaptation.

Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email news@gamespot.com

  •   View Comments (0)
    Join the conversation
    There are no comments about this story