Huge Pokemon Go Update Out Now, Adds Gen 3 Pokemon, Dynamic Weather, And Battle Parties
Torchic, Mudkip, and more Hoenn Pokemon are now available.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
A ton more Generation 3 Pokemon are now available in Pokemon Go. Developer Niantic has rolled out a huge update for the popular AR game that introduces new monsters from Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, as well as a dynamic weather system and other changes.
The new update, version 1.53.2 for iOS and 0.83.1 for Android, is available to download now and most notably adds 50 Gen 3 monsters to Pokemon Go. While a small handful of these were introduced during this year's Pokemon Go Halloween event, players can now encounter a much wider variety of Pokemon from the Hoenn region, including Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Salamence, and more.
In addition to the new Pokemon, Niantic has added a dynamic weather system to Pokemon Go, so the weather in the real-world will now be reflected in-game. This affects how often you'll encounter certain Pokemon, as some types will be more common during certain weather conditions; Water-types such as Mudkip, for example, will appear more frequently during the rain. You can tap on a new weather icon to see which types of Pokemon are more likely to appear in your area based on the current conditions.
Other new features include the ability to create Battle Parties. Players can now create and save teams of up to six Pokemon for use in Gym and Raid Battles. Additionally, Niantic has increased the number of Pokemon you can have in your collection to 1,500. You can read the full patch notes for the update below.
Along with the new Hoenn Pokemon, players can still encounter Johto's Legendary bird, Ho-Oh. The rainbow-colored Pokemon will be available in Raid Battles around the world until December 12. Pokemon Go players can also get new cosmetic items inspired by Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, the series' most recent installments for 3DS.
Pokemon Go iOS Version 1.55.1 / Android Version 0.85.2 Patch Notes
- 50 additional Pokémon originally discovered in the Hoenn region can be caught.
- Real-world weather conditions are now reflected in Map View, in battle, and when catching Pokémon.
- Added a weather icon that can be tapped to highlight which Pokémon types are more likely to appear in the surrounding area and will be affected by current weather conditions.
- Added the beta feature to create battle parties that allow Trainers to save teams of up to six Pokémon to take into Gym battles and Raid Battles.
- Increased Pokémon Storage maximum to 1,500.
- Updated the battle interface to include a dedicated button for performing a Charged Attack.
- Various bug fixes and performance updates.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com