Hogwarts Legacy: How To Increase Inventory Size With Merlin Trials
Here's how you can gain more inventory slots in Hogwarts Legacy.
One of the biggest problems you'll have in Hogwarts Legacy is managing your inventory. By default, you only have 20 slots available. If you end up looting a bunch of items from chests, there's a chance that excess items would disappear forever. As such, you'll need to find a way to remedy that. Here's our guide to help you increase the inventory size in Hogwarts Legacy by completing Merlin Trials.
Merlin Trials challenges and inventory slots
As you progress further in the campaign, you'll receive a quest called Girl From Uagadou. You'll meet up with Natty in a village south of Hogsmeade, whereupon the objective will change to Trials of Merlin. After helping an NPC named Nora Treadwell, she'll provide you with Mallowsweet Leaves, a resource that's needed to begin each Merlin Trial in Hogwarts Legacy.
Merlin Trials are denoted by a leaf icon on the map. The best way to find them is by flying on your broom so you can check the countryside for these locations. A single Revelio activation to ping the map is enough to spot numerous points of interest in your surroundings.
Types of Merlin Trials
The underlying concept in Hogwarts Legacy Merlin Trial challenges is the use of spellcraft to complete puzzle-like tasks. We list down some examples below:
- Fireflies - Several altars surround the trial area. Use Lumos to attract fireflies and bring them to the altars.
- Billiard Balls - There are patches on the ground with small holes. Nearby, you'll see sets of orbs, too. Use Accio and Levioso to pull them to those spots. Alternatively, Wingardium Leviosa will give you more control.
- Light the Torches - Three torches can be seen around you, with each one of a different height. The idea is to use a long-range fire spell like Confringo to target the torches. They should all be lit in quick succession to complete the task.
- Pot Smashing - Objects that look like pots are attached to small pillars. Shoot and destroy all of them.
- Boulder Roll - A single large boulder can be seen nearby. Use Depulso to roll it all the way to a hole on the ground.
- Statue Repair - This trial will show multiple destroyed statues in the area. Use Reparo to fix all of them.
- Hop and Skip - Use Revelio to show the stone platforms in a location. You'll need to use the platforms and/or pillars to reach a destination.
- Rubik's Pillar - This challenge usually has three small pillars with a top section/block that can be rotated using Flipendo. A bit of trial and error is involved, but your goal is to make sure that the symbols on the movable block match the ones on the pillars.
Extra inventory slots as rewards
Why exactly do you need to do these challenges? Simply put: this is the only way to increase the inventory size in Hogwarts Legacy. This is represented by tiers, with each tier rewarding you with an extra four inventory slots. Here are some examples:
- Tier 1: Complete four challenges.
- Tier 2: Complete six challenges.
- Tier 3: Complete 10 challenges.
Once you've reached the maximum tier, you can expect a huge increase to your Hogwarts Legacy inventory size, up to 40 slots.
Hogwarts Legacy is developed by Avalanche Software, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The game has been embroiled in controversy due to transphobic remarks from Harry Potter author JK Rowling. Although she is not personally involved with its development, she stands to profit from its success. For more, read our in-depth article on how Rowling's comments have impacted the trans community. In this article, you will also find links to trans creators you can support, as well as charities you can donate to.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org