Hogwarts Legacy - How To Open Eye Chests And All Hogwarts Castle Locations
Sneak up and open the Hogwarts Legacy Eye Chests in the castle.
There are several Hogwarts Legacy Eye Chests found in the castle. These ornate containers don't reward you with gear, but you do receive 500 gold. This makes them a viable option if you need to acquire a lot of money early in the game. However, you do need a particular spell which we'll discuss below. Here's our guide to help you open all Hogwarts Legacy Eye Chests found inside Hogwarts Castle.
Getting the Disillusionment spell to unlock Eye Chests in Hogwarts Legacy
If you attempt to approach Eye Chests in Hogwarts Legacy, these containers will get startled, preventing you from interacting with them. That's why you need the Disillusionment spell, which is obtained once you start the Secrets of the Restricted Section main quest. This occurs early in the campaign (i.e., roughly your "third day" as a student, relatively speaking with how quests are grouped together).
Disillusionment activates stealth mode, letting you sneak up on these objects. Once you're close enough, you can press the interact button to open them and receive 500 gold from each one.
In any case, we'll detail the castle Eye Chests in Hogwarts Legacy below, noting the nearest fast travel points to help you with navigation. We're not including a map due to the in-game layout.
Library Annex Eye Chests
- Library - This is in the basement of the Restricted Section, which you'll visit as part of the quest. If you weren't able to grab your gold then, you could always return later.
- Greenhouses - Upon spawning in, go to the large tree at the back and head down the spiral staircase.
Astronomy Wing Eye Chests
- Professor Fig's Classroom - This one is inside the bathroom. You'll face the doorway the moment you teleport here.
- Defense Against the Dark Arts (DADA) Tower - Go down the steps to the second floor. You'll see this tucked away in a corner.
- Astronomy Classroom - Turn around from the Floo Flame and go to the end of the wooden walkway.
Bell Tower Wing Eye Chests
- Bell Tower Courtyard - When facing the Floo Flames teleporter, look to the right. Climb up the steps and follow the narrow corridor until you see the container.
- Hogwarts North Exit - For this Hogwarts Legacy Eye Chest, simply reenter the school grounds. Then, check the ramparts to the left.
- Flying Class Lawn or Beasts Classroom - You can pick either fast travel point. This container can be found above the stone steps that lead back into the castle.
Grand Staircase Eye Chests
- Lower Grand Staircase (Kelpie Statue) - Once you spawn in, you'll be facing a blank wall (which is actually the entrance to the Slytherin Common Room). Make a left to find this chest next to the Kelpie Statue.
- Lower Grand Staircase (Dungeons) - Same as above, but go right this time, all the way to the end of the corridor. Then, turn right past the suit of armor. At the back of the dungeon area, you'll see a locked door. The Eye Chest is inside the room.
Great Hall Eye Chests
- Viaduct Courtyard - From the fast travel point, climb up the steps and head to the back section closest to the castle walls.
- Boathouse - Once you spawn, fly to your right. You should see the entrance to a cave next to a waterfall. Dismount and swim toward the cavern. The chest is at the back end of the pier.
South Wing Eye Chests
- Clock Tower - This can be obtained as you're doing the Clock Tower Puzzle. Basically, there are four symbols seen just above the clock's hand/pendulum as it's moving. You can stop its movement by casting Glacius. If you do that as it's close to the second symbol, the mechanical door on the second floor will be unlocked. Inside the small room is an Eye Chest.
- Faculty Tower - Go up the flight of stairs in the Faculty Tower until you see a locked room with pots and kettles. Inside is a legendary chest. However, if you check a side room, there's an Eye Chest, too.
Secret Rooms Eye Chests
- Map Chamber - This Hogwarts Legacy Eye Chest is just above the spiral staircase that takes you back to the bowels of the castle. It's also connected by way of the Bell Tower, though the looping corridors and roundabout way to reach it can be a little confusing.
These are the Hogwarts Legacy Eye Chests that we've found in the castle and nearby grounds. There are still a lot more to discover in Hogsmeade Village.
Hogwarts Legacy is developed by Avalanche Software, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The game has been embroiled in controversy due to transphobic remarks from Harry Potter author JK Rowling. Although she is not personally involved with its development, she stands to profit from its success. For more, read our in-depth article on how Rowling's comments have impacted the trans community. In this article you will also find links to trans creators you can support, as well as charities you can donate to.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com