Hobbs & Shaw Has Massive Box Office Opening; See The Weekend's Top 10 Movies Here
Hobbs & Shaw is No. 1.
The latest weekend box office numbers are in, and the Fast & Furious spinoff Hobbs & Shaw starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Jason Statham, opened to a massive number.
The action film took in $60.8 million during its US/Canada opening this weekend, which made it far and away the biggest movie of the weekend, according to box office numbers from Entertainment Weekly. Hobbs & Shaw made a further $120 million from its overseas opening to bring its global haul to $180 million after just one weekend. As it happens, $180 million is also the estimated production budget of Hobbs & Shaw.
At $60.8 million in North America, Hobbs & Shaw performed substantially lower than almost every other movie in the series, but that is to be expected given it is a spinoff. You can see the domestic opening-weekend figures for every Fast & Furious movie posted below via Box Office Mojo.
Hobbs & Shaw is directed by Deadpool 2 director David Leitch. The movie also features Idris Elba as the villain, alongside Helen Mirren, Eiza Gonzalez, and Eddie Marsan.
The entire Fast & Furious franchise has now made more than $5 billion in box office receipts worldwide since it premiered all the way back in 2009. Hobbs & Shaw is the ninth instalment.
GameSpot's review of Hobbs & Shaw called it "wildly fun, but very dumb."
Elsewhere, Disney's The Lion King finished No. 2 with $38.2 million to push its domestic haul to $430.9 million. The movie has now made $764.9 million from international markets to push its global haul to $1.195 billion. Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, meanwhile, added $20 million this weekend in the US and Canada to push its total haul to $78.8 million; the movie opens later in August in other parts of the world.
August 2-4 Domestic Box Office
- Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw -- $60.8 million
- The Lion King -- $38.2 million
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood -- $20 million
- Spider-Man: Far From Home -- $7.8 million
- Toy Story 4 -- $7.2 million
- Yesterday -- $2.4 million
- The Farewell -- $2.4 million
- Crawl -- $2.2 million
- Aladdin -- $2 million
- Annabelle Comes Home -- $875,000
Fast & Furious Franchise Opening-Weekend Box Office (Domestic Only)
- Furious 7 (2015) -- $147.2 million
- The Fate of the Furious (2016) -- $98.8 million
- Fast & Furious 6 (2013) -- $97.4 million
- Fast Five (2011) -- $86.2 million
- Fast & Furious (2009) -- $70.95 million
- Hobbs & Shaw (2019) -- $60.8 million
- 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) -- $50.4 million
- The Fast and the Furious (2001) -- $40 million
- The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) -- $23.9 million
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org