Here's Why Nintendo Switch Cartridges Taste Really Bad
The cartridges are covered with a non-toxic bittering agent.
With the Nintendo Switch set to arrive in just a matter of hours now, Nintendo has confirmed one more detail about it: its game cartridges taste really bad. They are covered in a non-toxic material that is meant to discourage people from putting them in their mouths, a Nintendo representative confirmed.
"A bittering agent (Denatonium Benzoate) has also been applied to the game card," the spokesperson told Polygon. The Nintendo representative added that it's a good idea to keep the small Switch cartridges out of the reach of children so as to "avoid the possibility of accidental ingestion."
Denatonium Benzoate is the "most bitter chemical compound known to humanity," according to Polygon.
Jeff Gerstmann, the founder of GameSpot sister site Giant Bomb, put a Switch cartridge in his mouth and immediately wished he hadn't. For more on how Switch games taste, check out GameSpot's taste test video above.
I put that Switch cart in my mouth and I'm not sure what those things are made of but I can still taste it. Do not try this at home.— Jeff Gerstmann (@jeffgerstmann) February 25, 2017
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.