HBO Max: How To Watch, Price, Upcoming Warner Bros. Releases, And Everything Else There Is To Know
What is HBO Max? We're going to explain what the new streaming service is all about.
In the spring of 2020, WarnerMedia launched HBO Max, the latest streaming service to hit the market. While "HBO" is a part of the name, it features more than just content from the premium channel. Content from Warner Bros., DC, TNT, and more will be available to watch. And on top of all of that Warner Bros. will be streaming new movies the same day they hit theaters. And finally, users can watch HBO Max on Roku and Amazon Fire TV.
HBO Max is one of the big streaming service launches in 2020, right alongside NBCUniversal's Peacock, which launched in July. WarnerMedia's HBO Max has some tough competition going up against streaming giants Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu. However, it's huge back catalog should give it a good head start.
One of the more confusing things about HBO Max, for some people, is its difference between the already established HBO Go and HBO Now, and if you can access any of the same content through an already-available app.
What's the difference?
- HBO Go-A service available to cable subscribers, streaming HBO content to internet-connected devices.
- HBO Now-The same thing as HBO Go except it's a standalone streaming service, not attached to your cable provider.
- HBO Max-WarnerMedia's platform. While it does offer HBO content, it also includes original programming and content from a variety of other networks and movie studios.
Those who subscribed to HBO Max prior to launch also get access to HBO Now, and current HBO Now subscribers get access to HBO Max. If you access HBO Now through a third-party apps Apple, Google Play, Samsung, Verizon Fios internet, Optimum, Consolidated Communications and Liberty Cablevision of Puerto Rico, you will also get immediate access.
Unlike Peacock, Netflix, and Hulu, there is not a tiered pricing system for HBO Max. The service costs $15 a month, which is cheaper than Netflix's premium tier. This is for an ad-free experience as well. Both Peacock and Hulu have cheaper tiers, but you'll have to watch advertisements.
HBO Max is more than just HBO. It contains television and movies from many different places under the WarnerMedia property banner. There will be over 10,000 hours of curated content, and celebrities--like Zac Efron--will offer up suggestions for what to watch on the service in personal curation videos.
Additionally, HBO Max has partnered with Crunchyroll to offer up some high-quality anime content on the streaming service. 17 titles will be available at launch, including Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Berserk, Rurouni Kenshin, and more. Also, the full Studio Ghibli animated library will be available including Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away.
Here are some of the properties you can find on HBO Max. Many of these are in the Max Hubs section of the app.
- Warner Bros.
- New Line Cinema
- Studio Ghibli
- Looney Tunes
- The CW
- Turner Classic Movies
- Cartoon Network
- Adult Swim
- Rooster Teeth
HBO Max is offering a decent amount of original content, which will trickle out month to month. However, there isn't a lot of hype surrounding its original content--even though Elmo's late night talk show looks delightful. Six originals arrived at launch--five series and one documentary--and below, you'll find the full list. You can find more details about the original series here.
- Love Life
- Looney Tunes
- The Not Too Late Show With Elmo
- On the Record
Additionally, there are more notable originals planned like the Green Lantern series, an Adventure Time continuation, DC's Strange Adventures, and Season 2 of the DC Universe series Doom Patrol, which will arrive on June 25. HBO Max has released the upcoming slate of original programming as well. And there is a lot in the works for the streaming service.
Future original programming:
As previously mentioned, Warner Bros. will be launching movies on HBO Max the same day they hit theaters in the United States at no extra cost. The first film launching on the streaming service is the highly-anticipated Wonder Woman: 1984, which arrives on Christmas Day. Below, you'll find all the noted programming coming to the service.
I got you something ✨nice✨ this year:— HBO Max (@hbomax) December 3, 2020
🎁 The biggest movie premieres
🎁 In theaters and on HBO Max the exact same day
🎁 Beginning December 25 with #WonderWoman1984#HBOMax #WBPictures https://t.co/BZgFFRrrg2 pic.twitter.com/J2KBdWd9Tf
December 25, 2020-
- Wonder Woman: 1984
Future Warner Bros. HBO Max releases-
- The Matrix 4
- In The Heights
- Judas and the Black Messiah
- Tom & Jerry
- Those Who Wish Me Dead
- King Richard
- The Little Things
- Godzilla vs. Kong
- Mortal Kombat
- The Suicide Squad
- The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
- Space Jam: A New Legacy
- The Many Saints of Newark
Future HBO Max originals-
- Adventure Time: BMO
- Adventure Time: Obsidian
- Adventure Time: Wizard City
- Adventure Time: Together Again
- Aquaman: King of Atlantis (Animated series)
- Don't Let the Pigeon Do Storytime (Live action family special)
- Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai (Animated series)
- Jelly Stone (Animated series)
- Little Ellen (Animated series)
- Mecha Builders (Animated Sesame Street spin-off)
- 15 Minutes of Shame (Documentary)
- Brad & Gary Go To... (Non-fiction series)
- College Girls (Comedy series)
- DC Super Hero High (Docuseries)
- Generation Hustle (Drama series)
- Gossip Girl (Drama series)
- Grease: Rydell High (Musical series)
- Green Lantern (Superhero series)
- Strange Adventures (Superhero series)
- Tooned Out (Comedy series)
- 12 Dates of Christmas (Unscripted series)
- Americanah (Drama series)
- The Big Shot With Bethenny (Unscripted series)
- Birth, Wedding, Funeral (Docuseries)
- Bobbie Sue (Film)
- The Boondocks (Animated series)
- Bourdain (Documentary)
- Boys (Period drama series)
- Charm City Kings (Film)
- Circe (Drama series)
- Crime Farm (Drama series)
- Dune: The Sisterhood (Drama series)
- Duster (Drama series)
- Ellen's Home Design Challenge (Competition series)
- First Dates Hotel (Unscripted series)
- Gen: Lock (Animated series)
- Generation (Dramedy series)
- The Greatest Space (Non-fiction series)
- Heaven's Gate (Docuseries)
- Justice League Dark (Superhero series)
- Overlook (Horror-thriller series)
- Persona (Documentary)
- The Prince (Animated series)
- Rap Sh*t (Comedy series)
- Santa Inc. (Animated comedy series)
- The Scoop (Documentary)
- Tracy Morgan (Stand-up comedy)
- Rose Matafeo (Stand-up comedy)
- Ahir Shah (Stand-up comedy)
- Stand-up Specials Presented By Conan O'Brien (Stand-up comedy)
- Starstruck (Comedy series)
- Station Eleven (Drama series)
- Tokyo Vice (Drama series)
- The Unthinkable Earth (Anthology series)
- Zack Snyder's Justice League (Film)
While there is a lot in the works, HBO Max is offering subscribers to rewatch many of their favorite shows, including HBO's vast back catalog of TV shows like Sopranos to NBC favorites like Friends as well.
It took quite some time, but HBO Max is now available on the vast majority of devices, including Amazon Fire TV and Roku. Check out the full list of devices you can use to stream below.
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Xbox One
- Web browsers
- Amazon Fire TV
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org