Halo Season 1 Release Date And Special Features Revealed
In two months, you will be able to own a copy of Master Chief's televised adventures.
Season 1 of Paramount+'s Halo TV series will be available for home video release November 15 in limited-edition 4K UHD steelbook, 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD. IGN was first to report.
After nearly a decade, the Halo television series debuted earlier this year--and even before the first episode aired, Paramount already greenlit it for Season 2. It was first announced alongside the Xbox One back in May of 2013 as a TV show meant to premiere on the just-announced console, with Steven Spielberg executive producing. The show spent years in development with different networks and personnel at the helm, but here and now, David Wiener--as originally announced when Season 1 was entering production--will act as showrunner and executive producer for Halo Season 2 after having worked on Brave New World for Paramount+.
Pablo Schreiber stars as Master Chief/John-117. Natascha McElhone plays Dr. Catherine Halsey, the scientist behind the Spartan program that creates Master Chief. Jen Taylor returns as the voice of Master Chief's AI assistant, Cortana, after providing the voice in the Halo video games.
The Halo TV series has its own canon, known as the "Silver Timeline," so what happens on the show doesn't necessarily impact the games or other media.
Fans who purchase the physical release will also be treated to a bunch of special features. Check out everything below in all its glory, though note some of these are already available on digital platforms such as iTunes:
- Dissecting the Battle of Madrigal - The Halo crew takes you behind the scenes to dissect one of the most important moments of the show, the Battle of Madrigal.
- Becoming Spartans - Our larger-than-life heroes introduce one another and share their thoughts on the process of becoming Spartans. Master Chief, Kai, Riz, Vannak and Soren recollect their memories from training and early bootcamp to the epic result we see on screen. Showrunner Steven Kane and director Otto Bathurst join the Spartan team to reveal the challenges and joy of creating near-perfect superhumans encountering imperfectly human emotions for the very first time.
- Creating the Costumes of Halo - Costume designer Giovanni Lipari brings insight into the creation of the 5 different worlds shown in HALO: SEASON ONE. Giovanni shares not only the process of creating the costumes and styles for each of the planets, but provides background and history for the different groups and their connection to one another.
- Weapons and Vehicles of Halo - Master Chief’s assault rifle or the sound of a warthog? Two emblematic tools of the Halo universe. Property Master Andrew Orlando leads us through the steps of the realization of Covenant and Spartan weapons from initial design to final construction. Sophie Becher, Production Designer, joins in to share details about the newly invented spaceships of this one-of-a-kind universe. There is no Halo without the sound and look of warthogs, and Picture Vehicle Coordinator Parádi Sándor Jr. joins to tell us how it and other Halo vehicles were conceived.
- The World of Halo - Join us for an inside conversation with Executive Producer Kiki Wolfkill, Director Otto Bathurst, Showrunner Steven Kane, Pablo Schreiber and other cast members as they break down how the story and characters of this sci-fi epic game were brought to the screen.
- Adapting Halo - The Halo production teams give viewers an inside look at how visual effects, artful direction, and purposeful set design were used to create the show’s other worldly look and feel. They share how each setting is unique and immersive, and built on a massive scale.
- The Culture of The Covenant - Take an exclusive tour alongside remarkable talent, visual effects artists and production teams who show us how they brought to life the setting and aliens that make up The Covenant.
- The Lake of Eternal Life: A Song from Halo’s Score - A behind-the-scenes look at the studio recording of the funeral song, “The Lake of Eternal Life” sung by Jaram Lee.
- The Making of Cortana - Actress Jen Taylor discusses her character’s emotional journey throughout the series and reveals how the filmmakers brought Cortana to life on screen.
- Halo The Series: Declassified 101 - 109
- 101 - In this premiere episode of Halo the Series: Declassified, Sydnee is joined by the Master Chief himself, Pablo Schreiber, Master Chief’s highly advanced A.I., Cortana, and AEW professional wrestler Adam Cole.
- 102 - Host Sydnee Goodman takes viewers behind the scenes of Episode 2(“Unbound”) with actor Bokeem Woodbine, Director Otto Bathurst, as well as some lucky fans who got to attend the red-carpet premiere of Halo the Series.
- 103 - We dive into Episode 3, “Emergence.” Here, host Sydnee Goodman talks with star Charlie Murphy (Makee). Plus, see how the show built one of its most impressive sets and meet some of the most passionate Halo fans in the world.
- 104 - Host Sydnee Goodman welcomes Cortana herself, Jen Taylor! They discuss Jen’s longtime role as Master Chief’s fan-favorite A.I and how bringing the character to life on TV brought new challenges. Plus, get a lesson in the Covenant language of Sangheili from the linguists who created it. Then, passionate Halo fans explain what Master Chief means to them. Finally, get a special look behind the scenes of the incredible visual effects of Halo the Series, including how the talented artists brought Cortana to live action.
- 105 - In this installment of Halo the Series: Declassified, host Sydnee Goodman talks with Kate Kennedy (Kai-125). Plus, behind the scenes of the stunts and weapons of Halo the Series and a look at the world’s largest Halo collection.
- 106 - Host Sydnee Goodman is joined by Natascha McElhone (Dr. Halsey) to explore the complicated nature of Halsey’s work with the Spartans. Plus, we visit Spartan bootcamp, talk with composer Sean Callery, and more.
- 107 - Host Sydnee Goodman chats with actress Yerin Ha (Kwan Ha) about her character’s journey from average kid to freedom fighter. Plus, enjoy a visit from actor Wil Wheaton, a closer look at iconic Halo vehicles, and plenty of Easter eggs.
- 108 - In this installment of Halo the Series: Declassified, host Sydnee Goodman welcomes star Olive Gray (Dr. Miranda Keyes) to discuss their approach to a character that has complicated relationships with everyone around her. Plus, behind the scenes with Director Jonathan Liebesman, a cosplay tutorial, and more.
- 109 - On the finale installment of Halo the Series: Declassified, host Sydnee Goodman welcomes Executive Producer Kiki Wolfkill and Executive Producer/Showrunner Steven Kane to dive deep into all the big events, so far. Plus, enjoy a thank you from the cast and crew and an enlightening discussion about reflecting the real world in sci-fi.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org