Halo 4 On PC Beta--Here's What We Know And How To Sign Up
Microsoft shares more details on the upcoming beta test for Halo 4 on PC.
Halo 4 is expected to launch on PC through The Master Chief Collection later this year, representing the sixth and final title that will complete the package. While the game's public release date hasn't been announced yet, developer 343 Industries has now revealed the latest details on its beta test, including what's in it, when it will release, and how you can sign up.
343 is planning to release Halo 4 on PC through its beta test program in October. A very early version of the game launched already for 343's external partners, but public testers haven't been allowed in yet. Once the beta goes out to public users, 343 will draw from its pool of Halo Insider members. You can sign up for the free Halo Insider program here and hope for the best.
The beta will bring Halo 4 to PC, and it will also include other updates that will be available across PC and Xbox One. These include new customization options for Halo 4, the new Season 4 content, and cross-play support. You can see a full rundown of what's in the Halo 4 beta below, but note that these plans are subject to change.
New Features In The Halo 4 Beta
- Customization: Updated customization will be available for Halo 4.
- Forge: Forge will be available for players during this flight.
- Theater: Theater will be available for Halo 4.
- Challenges: The complete Challenge System, including the Challenge Hub screen, will be available during this flight with new Challenges for Halo 4.
- Season 4 Content: Currently TBD based on flight readiness for Ring 3. These pieces require evaluation with both our internal QA and Rings 1 & 2 for if they are ready for flighting prime time.
- Input Based Matchmaking and Crossplay: Currently TBD based on flight readiness for Ring 3.
- Server Region Selection: Currently TBD based on flight readiness for Ring 3.
- Video Graphics Options: Currently TBD based on flight readiness for Ring 3.
- Disable Text Chat Option: A new feature for players to choose to see specific channels of in-game text chat in this flight.
The Halo 4 beta on PC will also include some Campaign and Spartan Ops missions, but 343 has not yet decided on which ones will be available. That said, the studio did say the beta will include all difficult levels, along with co-op support for online play.
For multiplayer, there will be social and competitive games, along with an assortment of maps to be announced later. Here is what we know so far:
- Social Games: 4v4, 8p FFA, 12p Infection, 8v8
- Competitive: We are still working through what Ranked playlists will be available
- Maps: We are still working through what maps will be available
And finally, there will be a number of settings and options available on PC in the beta test, including window mode, aspect ratio, framerate limit, graphics quality, and others. You can see a complete rundown of these below.
Settings and Options
- Controls: Configure Mouse & Keyboard and Configure Gamepad
- Video: Field-Of-View, Vehicle Field-Of-View, Gamma, Window Mode, Aspect Ratio, Resolution Scale, V-Sync, HUD Anchoring, Unified Medal Display, Framerate Limit, Graphics Quality, and more.
- Audio: Game Volume including Menu Music Volume, Game Music Volume, Effects Volume, Voice Chat Volume. Also, Voice Chat Channel, and Push to Talk Voice Chat.
- Gameplay: Show Challenge Notifications, Allow Untrusted Files, File Share Trust Level, and Credits.
- Network: Network and Relays
- Accessibility: Subtitles, Change Language, Convert Text-To-Speech, Convert Speech-To-Text, and Text Chat Availability
In other news about Halo: MCC, Microsoft has teased that maps from the canceled free-to-play Russian game Halo Online might be on the way, while an unreleased Halo: Reach helmet is coming to the game in the future.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.