Guitar Hero Live Adding New Head-to-Head Competitive Mode
Plus, new holiday-themed shows are on the way.
Activision's Guitar Hero Live, like Harmonix's Rock Band 4, is adding new features. The developer today announced the first big update for Guitar Hero Live--and it's based in part on community feedback.
Top New Video Games Releasing On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week -- September 20-26, 2020 Xbox Series X & S Expansion Cards, A Nier Replicant Remake, And A Yakuza Movie | Save State Transformers: Battlegrounds - Official Gameplay Trailer American Horror Story: The Best of Taissa Farmiga Microsoft Acquires Bethesda - GS News Update NieR Replicant - TGS 2020 Release Date Trailer Mafia: Definitive Edition Video Review Mafia: Definitive Edition - 4K Max Settings Gameplay Weapons Expert Breaks Down Tommy Gun Clips From Games Netflix's The Haunting of Bly Manor Trailer Breakdown Metal Gear Solid On PC, Pokemon Trademarks, & New Kirby Game On Switch | Save State 13 Biggest TV Shows To Watch For Fall 2020
Available now in Guitar Hero Live is a new head-to-head competitive mode for GHTV mode called Rival Challenges. As its name suggests, this mode sees players battling it out 1v1 for the highest score. The twist, however, is that songs are chosen by Activision; winners get +100 XP and other bonuses.
Here's how the new feature works, as explained by Activision and Jamie Jackson of developer FreeStyle Games:
- To unlock Rival Challenges, you will need to be level 10 or higher. We decided this because once you hit level 10, you will have gained access to Guitar Upgrades and accumulated some Hero Powers, which we think introduces fun and interesting layers of competition.
- Rival Challenges will occur on twice per every half-hour show. The song choices will be picked by us, so you'll always need to be ready
- Your opponent will be of relatively close skill level, paired with you through our underlying matchmaking technology.
- The winner of each battle earns an extra +100 Status XP, along with bragging rights of course.
- Another bonus is showing off the personalization items you've earned in GHTV. When a battle kicks off, both you and your opponent will see each other’s playercard and note highway on screen.
Looking beyond this new feature update for Guitar Hero Live, Activision also teased that some holiday-themed GHTV shows are on the way. These were not announced, however.
Rock Band 4 also added new features recently. That game's huge December update introduced more songs, a new Brutal difficulty mode, and more.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.