Grand Theft Auto V breaks seven Guinness World Records
Rockstar Games' latest is now the world record holder for the fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion, alongside six others.
The latest entry in Rockstar Games' open-world series took over $1 billion in revenue within three days of its launch on September 17, and has now overtaken the lifetime sales of Grand Theft Auto IV in the UK within three weeks of release.
Previous holders of the records were entries in the Call of Duty series, and movies The Avengers and Avatar.
"Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I'm also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book,” said Guinness World Records editor-in-chief Craig Glenday in a statement.
Last night the Guinness World Records claimed that Grand Theft Auto V sold 11.2 million copies in its first day on sale, but Rockstar Games parent company Take-Two Interactive would not verify the report.
The full list of records claimed by Grand Theft Auto V:
- 1. Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
- 2. Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
- 3. Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- 4. Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
- 5. Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
- 6. Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- 7. Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame
For more information about Grand Theft Auto V, check out GameSpot's review of the game.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com