Gran Turismo Series Sales Reach Nearly 76.5 Million, Best-Selling Games Revealed
2001's Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec is most popular of all.
Gran Turismo developer Polyphony Digital's website has been updated with new sales information about the racing series. As of September 30, the entire franchise has sold close to 76.5 million copies across ten major installments, according to data posted on the developer's website (via NeoGAF).
The best-selling game in the series to date is 2001's Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec for PS2, which has shifted 14.89 million copies. The worst-selling game, on the other hand, is Gran Turismo 4 Prologue, which sold 1.4 million copies following its launch in 2003 for the PS2. It's worth noting here that this was a smaller game and it was not released in North America. You can see sales numbers for the rest of the games in the chart below.
Gran Turismo Series Sales (as of September 30, 2015):
- Gran Turismo -- 10.85 million
- Gran Turismo 2 -- 9.37 million
- Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec -- 14.89 million
- Gran Turismo Concept Series -- 1.56 million
- Gran Turismo 4 Prologue -- 1.4 million
- Gran Turismo 4 -- 11.76 million
- Gran Turismo 5 Prologue -- 5.35 million
- Gran Turismo PSP -- 4.66 million
- Gran Turismo 5 -- 11.94 million
- Gran Turismo 6 -- 4.7 million
- Total -- 76.49 million
By comparison, the Halo series has sold 65 million copies (note that this figure was announced before the launch of Halo 5: Guardians), while game franchises like Mario, Pokemon, Need for Speed, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto, Lego, and FIFA have all sold more than 100 million units each.
What's your favorite entry in the Gran Turismo series? Let us know in the comments below!
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com