Godzilla Vs. Kong Might Go The Streaming Route, Report Says

Netflix reportedly bid $200 million to acquire the film, but Warner Bros. is said to have blocked it.


According to sources speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros.' new monster movie mashup Godzilla vs. Kong could release in theatres and on a streaming site.

THR said Netflix made a bid of more than $200 million to acquire the streaming rights to the film, but Warner Bros. "blocked the deal" and came up with its own offer to bring Godzilla vs. Kong to its in-house streaming platform, HBO Max.

A spokesperson for WB told THR, "We plan to release Godzilla vs. Kong theatrically next year as planned."

Per the report, production company Legendary financed 75 percent of the movie, with WB picking up the remaining 25 percent. WB's involvement is key, however, as the studio controls the distribution plans.

WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar and WB chairman Ann Sarnoff are currently negotiating an offer for Godzilla vs. Kong, according to the report, and it would, "in theory," include a theatrical release as well. This would not be new territory for WB, as the company recently announced that another one of its tentpole films, Wonder Woman 1984, will release in theatres and on HBO Max this Christmas.

The new Godzilla monster movie series began with 2014's Godzilla, which was directed by Gareth Edwards (Star Wars: Rogue One). The series continued with 2017's Kong: Skull Island from Metal Gear Solid director Jordan Vogt-Roberts; a third movie, 2019's Godzilla: King of the Monsters, starred Stranger Things' Millie Bobby Brown. Collectively, the films have made more than $1.5 billion at the global box office.

Godzilla vs. Kong, as its name suggests, will feature a showdown between Godzilla and King Kong. The film is directed by Adam Wingard (Death Note, The Guest) and it brings back some of the main cast from King of Monsters, including Millie Bobby Brown and Kyle Chandler.

Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email news@gamespot.com

Join the conversation
There are 4 comments about this story