GameSpot Editors' Top 10 Lists
It's a personal choice.
So far, you've seen all of our official choices for 2013's best games according to platform categories. But before we unveil the one game that we've chosen as our overall GameSpot Game of the Year (that's happening on December 19), we're asking all of our editors to list their personal favorites for 2013.* After all, GameSpot isn't a hive mind, and our editors aren't working in a Borg-like collective. We're actually a bunch of individuals with our own personal tastes and opinions, some of which differ wildly from one another. So come check out what our editors have chosen as their individual top 10 games for the year. You may be surprised at some of the choices.
- Peter Brown's Top 10: "Nearly every platform was host to at least one of my personal favorites."
- Justin Calvert's Top 10: "My top 10 list could easily have been a top 20 or 30."
- Martin Gaston's Top 10: "The biggest surprise for me this year was the 3DS."
- Justin Haywald's Top 10: "In a year like 2013, choosing just 10 'best' games seems far too few."
- Mary Kish's Top 10: "I was pulled toward games with heavy narrative and compelling plots."
- Eddie Makuch's Top 10: "In 2013, I branched out, tried new things, and had a blast."
- Jess McDonell's Top 10: "For me, this year was as much about hurt as it was about fun."
- Maxwell McGee's Top 10: "Each one does something special that will stay in my mind for years to come."
- Shaun McInnis' Top 10: "It's the type of game that consumes your thoughts even when you're not playing it."
- Tom Mc Shea's Top 10: "It's a rare game that causes you to view yourself differently."
- Danny O'Dwyer's Top 10: "You have to acknowledge that there are always games and experiences out there that you've just missed out on."
- Carolyn Petit's Top 10: "What set 2013 apart for me were the games that did things that felt entirely unburdened by our preexisting notions."
- Randolph Ramsay's Top 10: "3DS games make up a third of my overall top 10 games list for 2013, and no one is more surprised than me."
- Aaron Sampson's Top 10: "This year saw a resurgence of hard games."
- Zorine Te's Top 10: "Surprisingly, my personal picks for the games of 2013 span across a variety of genres."
- Kevin VanOrd's Top 10: "Looking over my own best-of-2013 list, I'm struck by how different these games are from each other."
- Mark Walton's Top 10: "I am ranking 2013 as one of my all-time best for games."
- Chris Watters' Top 10: "What's surprising is how many games there were this year that dealt with loss in profound and meaningful ways."
*For personal top 10s, GameSpot editors were able to choose any game that had a release in 2013--this includes games that were released on different platforms this year but that were initially made available at some other, earlier time (such as Spelunky). This was less strict than our criteria for the official Game of the Year awards, which dictated that only games that were first released between January and the end of November 2013 were eligible.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org