GameFly reveals 2003's top renters
KOTOR, Simpsons, and Crimson Skies lead online rental service's Xbox-heavy year-end chart.
Xboxers love GameFly. That much was made clear today, when the Netflix-like online game rental service (and GameSpot partner) revealed its top renters of 2003. Unlike the PlayStation 2-dominated weekly rental figures from Rentrak, which gathers information from thousands of home video and game rental stores nationwide, the majority of tiles on GameFly's chart were for Microsoft's console.
Topping the list was Lucasarts' acclaimed role-playing game, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. The next four slots were also taken by Xbox titles: The Simpsons: Hit & Run, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, and True Crime: The Streets of L.A., and Soul Calibur 2. The first PS2 title didn't appear until Jak II popped up at number six, followed by Castlevania: of Innocence.
All in all, the Xbox scored 12 of GameFly's top slots, while the PS2 only earned eight. However, that was better than the GameCube, which didn't crack GameFly's top 20 at all. The complete list is:
Title / Platform / Publisher
1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic / Xbox / LucasArts
2. The Simpsons: Hit & Run / Xbox / Vivendi Universal
3. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge / Xbox / Microsoft
4. True Crime: The Streets of L.A. / Xbox / Activision
5. Soul Calibur 2 / Xbox / Namco
6. Jak II / PS2 / Sony
7. Castlevania: Lament of Innocence / PS2 / Konami
8. Freedom Fighters / Xbox / Electronic Arts
9. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time / Xbox / Ubi Soft
10. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 / Xbox / Ubi Soft
11. Simpsons Hit and Run / PS2 / Vivendi Universal
12. Brute Force / Xbox / Microsoft
13. Dead Or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball / Xbox / Tecmo
14. Return to Castle Wolfenstein:Tides of War / Xbox / Activision
15. Enter the Matrix / Xbox / Atari
16. Midnight Club 2 / PS2 / Take-Two
17. Enter the Matrix / / PS2 / Atari
18. The Getaway / PS2 / Sony
19. Madden NFL 2004 / PS2 / Electronic Arts
20. Final Fantasy X-2 / PS2 / Square Enix
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com
Join the conversation