Fortnite's Playground Mode Is Live; Here's What's New And Different
The low-pressure mode returns on July 25 with a number of tweaks.
Fortnite's Playground mode has returned to Battle Royale. The limited-time mode is now live in-game across PS4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, and mobile. As promised, a variety of changes have been made, and developer Epic Games has detailed everything that's new since we last saw it.
There are lots and lots of changes, one of which is that players can now switch teams mid-game. The idea is that you can swap sides to work together with friends on strategies and then switch to hone your fighting skills. Voice chat is on for all teams, but Epic plans to add "more customisation" options in the future.
Also new for this second iteration of Playground is that, as promised, there is more loot; 100 supply drops have been added, while rocket ammo drop rates are increased. What's more, golf carts are now in Playground, while you can get to the ground faster after dropping in because the forced glider deploy height is now lower. Additionally, ammo and building materials are now far more abundant, while the respawn timer is much lower.
These are just a small sampling of the changes. You can see the full patch notes below.
While you wait for Playground to return to Fortnite, the game's first birthday event is going on now that adds birthday cakes to the island. You can also earn special cosmetics by completing challenges and quests. You can check out our Fortnite 1st Birthday challenge guide for more on that.
Fortnite Playground LTM Changes
- Players can now switch teams in-game. Join the same team to work together creatively, join separate teams to practice fighting each other!
- Note: Voice chat will remain on across all teams, future iterations of the mode will offer more customization.
- Aim assist will work when using a gamepad against players on an opposing team.
- Matches will no longer end if one player leaves the server.
- Golf carts have been added and spawn 100% of the time.
- Ammo cans spawn 10x the amount of ammo.
- Removed grey vending machines, increased the chances of higher-tier machines spawning.
- Increased launch & bounce pads spawn likelihood.
- Lowered forced glider deploy height, so players can get back into the action more quickly.
- Increased max rocket ammo cap to 60.
- Increased rocket ammo drop rates.
- Added 100 Supply Drops.
- Chests now spawn 3 weapons and more ammo & consumables than normal.
- Floor loot now spawns 3 items.
- Increased Chug Jug and Slurp Juice spawn chances, decreased Bandages.
- Added Chug Jugs to floor loot.
- Respawn timer lowered from 10s to 3s.
- Drop into the Battle Royale map alone or with up to a full squad for an hour.
- Players respawn immediately unless eliminated by the Storm.
- The Storm doesn't start closing in for 55 minutes and takes 5 minutes to close in.
- Resources gained from harvesting increased by ten times the normal amount.
- 100 Llamas will be spawned on the map.
- Chests & ammo boxes spawn 100% of the time.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com