Fortnite: Use A Rift Spawn Locations (Season 5, Week 8 Challenge Guide)
It's time to earn some more Battle Stars.
After the delayed launch for Week 7, Fortnite's challenges are back in their usual slot for Season 5, Week 8 (although we're again experiencing a delay for Week 9 challenges). That means PS4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, and mobile players have new rewards to work towards earning right now. As with previous weeks in this season, challenges are partitioned into two categories, with some available to all players and others only to those that have paid for a Battle Pass. As always, we've got a breakdown of all the new Fortnite challenges and guides to help you get them done, including one of the trickiest of the bunch: use a Rift at different Rift spawns.
On the free side, this week's challenge involve placing 10 traps, searching seven chests in Wailing Woods and getting four kills with a shotgun. While the free challenges this week are relatively easy, the ones in the paid Battle Pass section will require a little more time, effort, and perseverance.
The first involves doing 250 damage to enemies with the pickaxe, which means you'll need to get up close and personal. Since enemies may opt to just gun you down, you'll have to be sneaky and try not to get discouraged by all the bullets flying your way while you're trying to do some nice, wholesome melee damage.
The remaining paid Battle Pass challenges are the quite tough. One is a three-part challenge that begins by asking you to eliminate an opponent in Greasy Grove. Completing this is all down to your prowess as a hunter, so hang around in the area and see if you can pick of an unsuspecting enemy. Once done, you can progress on to the next stage of the challenge. Another challenge involves searching between three oversized seats, while the final one requires you to use a Rift at 10 different Rift spawn locations.
The Rifts were introduced at the start of Season 5, and generally they all appear in the same location. Since the challenge is very similar to previous ones that have also required interacting with Rifts, you should have a good feel for where they are. As a refresher, here are some of the common locations that you can find rifts.
Rift Spawn Locations
- Southeast of Junk Junction near the Easter Island statue
- Northeast of Risky Reels around the Noms sign
- Northwest of Dusty Divot in the mountain
- Northwest of Tomato Town around the river
- East of Pleasant Park close to the Durr Burger statue
- North of Paradise Palms in the town
- Northwest of Paradise Palms around the lake
- Southeast of Shifty Shafts around the Easter Island statue
- West of Lucky Landing around the Easter Island statue
- Northeast of Paradise Pals around the Go Kart track
If you need further help locating the Rifts, we've also put together a map of common Rift location and a video of us completing the challenge above to give you a better idea of where to go. You can see all the other Week 8 challenges, and their rewards, below.
Fortnite Season 5, Week 8 Challenges
- Place traps (10) -- 5 Battle Stars
- Search chests in Wailing Woods (7) -- 5 Battle Stars
- Shotgun eliminations (4) -- 10 Battle Stars
- Deal damage with pickaxe to opponents (250) -- 5 Battle Stars
- Use a Rift at different Rift spawn locations (10) -- 5 Battle Star
- Search between three oversized seats -- 10 Battle Stars
- Stage 1: Eliminate an opponent in Greasy Grove -- 3 Battle Stars
- Stage 2: Eliminate an opponent in Lonely Lodge
- Stage 3: Eliminate an opponent in Fatal Fields
On August 28, Epic launched a new update for Fortnite, introducing a new weapon and a Limited-Time Mode to Battle Royale. The Shockwave Grenade, classed as an Epic rarity item, can be acquired from Supply Drops, Vending Machines, chests, and llamas. Upon detonation, it knocks back anyone caught in the blast, and although the victims don't take fall damage, they will destroy any structures they crash through.
The new Limited-Time Mode, meanwhile, is called "Solid Gold." This can be played in the standard and 50v50 variations and, as in past iterations, weapons and items that spawn will all be of the Legendary variety. Those are the headliners, but you can see everything new from the Fortnite 5.30 content update here.
The patch also made a significant change to the challenge that tasks players with opening chests in specific locations, making it a little more manageable. We analysed the impact this change has had, saying that Fortnite has finally made the treasure chest challenges fun.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.