Fortnite Mobile Update Makes Some iOS Improvements
Players on iOS get some specific additions.
No matter what system you play on, Fortnite has something new for you to check out with its latest update. Those who are in the ongoing Fortnite mobile test for iOS, however, can look forward to some platform-specific improvements.
Fortnite's 3.4 update is headlined by its new content--namely, the Guided Missile weapon and Sniper Shootout v2 mode--but there are other changes of note. As detailed in the patch notes, mobile players will now get a new message if they try to run the game on an unsupported device. It'll let you know specifically which iPhone and iPad models can run the game. There's also a message pointing out that the game doesn't support jailbroken devices.
Regardless of which iOS device you're using, you'll now benefit from 4X MSAA anti-aliasing, which should sharpen the look of the game. You can also use whispers and party text chat, and the way doors auto-open has been modified. Additionally, there's a new tutorial when you first play to explain the tap-to-swing controls.
Also of note is a new "game data download system" that Epic says should allow future updates to be "much smaller." You can grab a small update on the App Store, and when you open the game, a 1.8 GB update will download. During this process, you'll be presented with the screen above, which cycles through a series of images highlighting the key features of the game, tips on how to play, and an explanation of the basic controls.
Alongside these new features, a variety of mobile-specific bugs have been fixed. You can see all of the patch notes that only pertain to mobile below. Battle Pass owners also have new Week 6 challenges to now complete.
Fortnite Mobile-Specific 3.4 Update Patch Notes
- Added 'Unsupported Device' message at startup for certain devices. That message is:
- "We're sorry. Fortnite requires a device with 2GB of memory to run. Fortnite works with: iPhone SE, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X; iPad Mini 4, Air 2, 2017, Pro."
- Added new game data download system, which will allow us to make much smaller updates in the future.
- When you start up this new version of Fortnite, it will start downloading all the game data, which will be the full size (around 1.8GB).
- Antialiasing (4x MSAA) is now enabled on all supported devices.
- Whispers and Party Text Chat are now enabled on mobile.
- Added a quick tutorial for 'Tap to Swing' which appears upon first startup.
- Added a message informing players that jailbroken devices are not supported.
- Auto-opening of doors is now based on input instead of your player's current speed.
- Continuously attacking with the Harvesting Tool is now more consistent when double tapping and holding the right side of screen.
- The left fire button is now more reliable and responsive.
- Opening treasure chests now feels more responsive.
- Fixed various inconsistencies with tap to shoot, making it more accurate.
- Fixed the minimap blocking movement and look input.
- Fixed an issue which caused misfiring when single tapping the screen and interacting with the HUD.
- Fixed some issues causing Tap, Tap + Hold actions to not register.
- Fixed longer than expected loading times on iPhone X.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when tapping the Epic Friends list rapidly.
- Fixed Impulse Grenade effects not being visible enough on Low settings.
- Turbo Building and Automatic Material Swapping settings now save correctly.
- Weapon and consumables dropped can no longer be auto-picked up by the dropping player.