Fortnite Mobile Update Adds A Much-Needed Feature
Time to speak up.
You no longer have to suffer (or win) in silence, as Fortnite has added voice chat on mobile devices. The new option is available in the Settings menu, which will let you push-to-talk with party members. Fortnite is available on iOS devices, with an Android version forthcoming.
The feature was announced in the v4.3 patch notes, which also added shopping carts and mushrooms and two limited-time game modes. The voice chat is the most significant new mobile-specific feature, though, as the ability to talk with teammates has been lacking on the platform. Fortnite's next set of challenges have also been delayed to Thursday, which will serve as the new drop date.
Fortnite is currently facing a legal challenge in Korea from fellow Battle Royale trailblazer PUBG. PUBG Corp., based in Korea, claims that its game is the "first standalone Battle Royale survival shooter game" and has said in the past that it's "concerned that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known." The suit raises concerns about the UI, gameplay, and "structural replication" of the popular game.
This comes as PUBG Corp. has admitted it has fallen short in making good on the game's potential. Fortnite has been rocketing to records at a regular clip, most recently claiming massive numbers in April. You can check out the mobile patch notes below.
Fortnite Mobile-Specific v4.3 Patch Notes
- Voice chat is here!
- Voice chat with your party can now be enabled in settings. Push-to-Talk with your party members!
- Editing different stair configurations will work more consistently.
- Fixed an issue causing players to be unable to download Fortnite even if they had enough storage space.
- General fixes to input touch state to better support *many* fingers.
- Trajectory indicators no longer appear when entering DBNO.
- Supply drop health numbers now update correctly when damaged.
- Fixed an issue where touching the quickbar when weapon switching is unavailable could cause your inventory to be stuck on the wrong weapon.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.