Fortnite 5.21 Patch Notes: Update Brings New Heavy Sniper And More
It's time for a bit of mayhem.
Epic Games has released a new Fortnite update for PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch, and mobile, bringing a new weapon and a pair of limited-time modes to Battle Royale, and freshening up the challenges for Save The World modes. Patch 5.21 arrived on August 15, and the LTMs should be available for at least a week.
The biggest addition to Battle Royale is that of the Heavy Sniper Rifle, the name of which is fairly self-explanatory. It deals serious damage, particularly to structures, but that comes at the expense of a long reload time. It's available in Epic and Legendary versions, and the bullets it fires drop less than those of other snipers.
Also new are two Limited Time Modes: Soaring 50s and Sniper Shootout. The former is described as a "twist" on the traditional 50v50 experience that places more of a focus on mobility by allowing Gliders to be re-deployed and also adding more Bounce Pads around the map. Sniper Shootout, meanwhile, is pretty much what the name suggests, with players doing battle using sniper rifles. One difference from the previous iteration is that the Heavy Sniper Rifle has taken the place of the Scoped Assault Rifle.
For Save the World there's a new set of weekly Horde Challenges and another hero joining. Take a look at the Fortnite update 5.21 patch notes below, courtesy of Epic Games. There's also a new batch of challenges available for Week 6, including one that has you search where the stone heads are looking and another that has you complete time trials.
- Limited Time Mode: Soaring 50s: Summary This mode is a twist on the traditional 50 vs 50 mode, featuring an extra emphasis on mobility. Gliders can be re-deployed when falling from large heights. Additional Impulse Grenades, Bounce Pads, and Launch Pads will be spawned throughout the map. Jump in and soar to new heights!
- 50v50 loot, ammo and resource levels
- When in mid-air and greater than 10m up, press Jump to deploy your glider
- Added Impulse Grenades to chests at double the standard spawn rate
- Added Impulse Grenades to floor loot
- Decreased Spike Trap spawn chances
- Increased Launch Pad & Bounce Pad spawn chances
- Profile Stats (K/D & Wins) are not tracked in this mode.
Limited Time Mode: Sniper Shootout: In this limited time mode, players will do battle using sniper rifles. May the best aim win!
- Scoped Assault Rifles have been removed.
- The Heavy Sniper Rifle has been added.
- Only weapon drops are Sniper Rifles.
- Floor Loot spawns reduced by 50%.
- Profile Stats (K/D & Wins) are tracked in this mode.
Weapons + Items
- Heavy Sniper added
- Available in Epic and Legendary variants.
- Can be found from floor loot, chests, Supply Drops, and Vending Machines.
- Each shot delivers devastating damage at the cost of a long reload.
- Deals 150/157 damage to players.
- These large rounds deal increased damage (1050/1100) to buildings.
- Projectiles fired from the Heavy Sniper have less bullet drop in comparison to other Snipers.
- Minigun headshot multiplier has been reduced from 2.5 to 1.5.
- Grenades now properly grant progress for the Week 5 Challenge: “Deal damage to players with a Clinger, Stink Bomb, or Grenade.”
Art + Animation
- Cloth physics have been fixed and will now appear properly.
Save The World
Missions + Systems
- Weekly Horde Challenge - Bullet Proof Husks
- Features bulletproof enemies that must be defeated with melee weapons, traps, or Hero abilities.
- One time completion Quest Reward
- 1500 Gold
- Repeatable quest reward
- 75 Tickets
- Removed the Power Rating restrictions on Challenge the Horde missions.
- These restrictions were blocking some players from accessing the Weekly Challenge Missions even though their Power Level was at the necessary level.
- Fixed an issue where the modifier between Challenge the Horde missions wasn’t appearing between waves.
- The Constructor Leadership quest will no longer fail to advance when purchasing the skill tree node.
- Atlas activation has been fixed in multi-gate Fight the Storm missions.
- Track completion now advances the mission properly in Level 28 Deliver the Bomb.
- Survivors and quest items no longer appear as orange boxes in the world.
- New Constructor Machinist: Thora added to the Event Store.
- Available Wednesday, August 15th at 8pm ET.
• Fixed an issue that could cause Rocket Launchers to take up a large portion of the screen.
Fortnite is now available to download on Android devices, but it's not as easy to get as you'd think. We've got a walkthrough on how to download Fortnite on Android to guide you through the process. On August 15, a selection of outfits were also added to the game, you can see all the new Fortnite skins here and figure out if anything tickles your fancy. For those still doing the challenges for Season 5, take a look at the list below to find guides on all of them.
Fortnite Season 5 Challenge Guides
- Fortnite Challenge Guide: Where To Search Floating Lightning Bolts
- Fortnite Challenge Guide: Where To Find Risky Reels Treasure Map
- Fortnite Challenge Guide: Where To Search Between An Oasis, Rock Archway, And Dinosaurs
- Fortnite Challenge Guide: Basketball Hoop Locations
- Fortnite Challenge Guide: Follow Treasure Map In Flush Factory, Shoot Clay Pigeons
- Fortnite Challenge Guide: All Clay Pigeons Locations
- Fortnite Challenge Guide: Search Between Gas Station, Soccer Pitch, Stunt Mountain
- Fortnite Challenge Guide: Flaming Hoops Locations
- Fortnite Challenge Guide: Secret Road Trip Challenge For Free Battle Pass Tier
- Fortnite Challenge Guide: Follow Snobby Shores Treasure Map, Using Rift Portals
- Fortnite Challenge Guide: Find Rift Portal Locations
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.