Former Silicon Knights Dev Sentenced in Child Porn Case

Kenneth McCulloch gets time served and is ordered to stay away from anyone under the age of 16; is also charged with sexual assault.

205 Comments
Kenneth McCulloch
Kenneth McCulloch

The former Silicon Knights director and founder of Precursor Games, arrested in June 2013 on child pornography charges, has been sentenced. According to a report from Welland Tribune (via Polygon), Kenneth McCulloch, 43, appeared in Ontario court Tuesday and pleaded guilty to making child pornorgaphy available. He was sentenced to time served--12 months. He had been in jail for the entire year since his arrest.

But that's not all. According to the report, Niagara Regional Police also charged McCulloch with sexual assault, forcible confinement, and sexual interference. As a result, he remains in custody and is scheduled to return to court on August 26 to face those charges.

Upon his arrest, Niagara Regional Police found "videos and images of young prepubescent boys engaged in sexual activity with adult women," attorney Richard Monette said at the hearing. A judge ordered McCulloch to stay clear from anyone under the age of 16 and to not come near any schools, parks, recreation centers, or public schools for a period of ten years. McCulloch's name will also be featured on the local sex offender registry for the next two decades.

During McCulloch's sentencing, judge Joseph Nadel told him, "You have a penchant or an attraction to looking at young persons and children in perverted circumstances. You are potentially a danger to young persons and children."

Immediately following McCulloch's arrest in June 2013, his then-employer--Precursor Games--was quick to distance itself from him. "Having just learned of these disturbing charges today and based on the serious nature of them, Ken McCulloch is no longer affiliated in any way with Precursor Games," CEO Paul Caporicci said at the time.

McCulloch was a founding member of Precursor Games and, prior to his arrest, was listed on the company's website as "Lore-keeper. World-Builder. Dream-merchant."

A crowdfunding campaign for Shadow of the Eternals, a spiritual successor to GameCube game Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, ended unsuccessfully last year. The game has since been put on hold, but Precursor Games says it has not given up on the project.

Watch live streams, videos, and more from GameSpot’s summer event. Check it out

Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email news@gamespot.com

Join the conversation
There are 205 comments about this story