Former Diablo 3 Director Leaves Blizzard
Jay Wilson was the director for Diablo 3 before moving on to other Blizzard projects.
Former Diablo III director Jay Wilson has announced that he will leave Blizzard Entertainment at the end of the week. Wilson spent 10 years at the developer, working on projects like Diablo III, World of Warcraft, and the cancelled Project Titan.
Sad to say after 10 of the best years of my life this will be my last week at Blizzard, and in the games industry.— Jay Wilson (@Angryrobotics) June 6, 2016
Wilson announced his departure on Twitter, saying he will leave the games industry entirely and return to his "original passion, writing." Wilson has been a part of the industry for quite a while, having worked at Relic on games like Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War before he joined Blizzard.
When he wasn't working on Diablo III, he spent some of his time working on World of Warcraft. He was immortalized in-game as Ja'y Nosliw, a Skybreaker General NPC that can be found in Shadowmoon Valley.
Wilson stepped down as Diablo III's director in 2013. Diablo III was met with negative response from the community at launch in 2012. Blizzard chief creative officer Rob Pardo defended Wilson and said if you feel the need to blame anyone, "then [he] would prefer you direct it at [him]."
Diablo creator David Brevik said he was "a little happy" over the negative response because it showed "that the people that were involved in Diablo really did matter." Wilson responded on Facebook, "f*** that loser," which he later apologized for.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.