Following Xbox One, PlayStation 4 Comes to China January 11
PS4 and PS Vita to launch in China early next year.
Sony will launch the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in China--which only recently lifted its long-running ban on home consoles--on January 11, 2015, the company announced today. Sony follows Microsoft in the gamer-rich market, as the Xbox One was released in China in late September.
The PS4 will sell for 2,899 RMB ($468), while the PS Vita will go for 1,299 RMB ($210) in China. In addition to support from Sony's internal studios, a total of 70 third-party developers and publishers are lined up to create a "steady stream" of games for the Chinese market, Sony said in a statement.
"PS4 is expanding at the fastest rate in PlayStation hardware history" -- Andrew House
Sony has also enticed a string of Chinese developers to create games for its platforms, including Suzhou Snail Digital Technology, Shanghai Youju Information Technology, and Shanghai Kena Information Technology. In addition, Sony says it has put together a "robust after-sales service" to ensure Chinese gamers "have a smooth experience" on PS4 and PS Vita.
"PS4 is expanding at the fastest rate in PlayStation hardware history, and the global gaming community is enjoying the ultimate entertainment experience only available on PlayStation," Sony executive Andrew House said. "We are delighted that we are able to fully launch our business in China, which is a market with great potential. We look forward to delivering exciting software, convenient services, and entertainment experiences only possible on PlayStation to the many gamers in China."
"The Chinese censor will be Sony's biggest challenge," Roger Sheng, a research director at tech research firm Gartner, told Reuters.
Addressing censorship concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment Asia business head Hiroyuki Oda said, "Cooperating with the government, we'll provide a broad range of content for our users in China."
The Xbox One reportedly sold 100,000 units during its launch week in China.
All the third-party developers signed up to develop PlayStation titles for China:
- BEIJING AURORA INTERACTIVE NETWORK TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.
- Beijing Chukong Technology Co. Ltd
- BEIJING LIANZHONG CO.,LTD
- Beijing Pixel Software Technology Joint-Stock Co.,Ltd
- Beijing S-Game Software Technology CO.,LTD
- Beijing SparkCube Co.,Ltd
- CIRCLE Entertainment LTD
- CottonGame Network Technology Co., Ltd. Shanghai
- Guang Zhou Net Ease Interactive Entertainment Co., Ltd
- Kami Neko Studio
- LinekongInteractiveCo., Ltd.
- Onipunks (Beijing) Software Ltd.
- Perfect World Entertainment Inc.
- Phoenix Publishing & Media, Inc.
- Quakegame Limited（PRC）
- Shanghai Giant Network Technology Co., Ltd
- Shanghai Kena Information Technology Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Muhe Network Technology Co.,
- Shanghai The9 Information Technology Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Youju Information Technology Co., Ltd.
- Shen Zhen Ao Le Yi Jie Computer Software Limited Corporation
- Suzhou Snail Digital Technology CO., Ltd
- TianJin YiLong Network Technology Co.Ltd.
- Westhouse Corporation Limited
- Ying Pei Digital Technology (Shanghai) Co., Limited
- Yushi Games Shanghai Co., LTD
- ARC SYSTEM WORKS CO., LTD.
- BANDAI NAMCO Games Inc.
- BLUESIDE Inc.
- CAPCOM CO., LTD.
- Eastasiasoft Limited.
- F K Digital PTY. Ltd.
- GungHo Online Entertainment Inc.
- HAMSTER Corporation
- International Games System Co., Ltd.
- JOYCITY Corporation
- Kadokawa Games, Ltd.
- KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.
- Konami Digital Entertainment
- Marvelous Inc.
- Ratloop Asia Pte Ltd
- Rayark Inc.
- Sega Corporation
- Singapore University of Technology and Design
- SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION
- Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
- SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
- Abstraction Games B. V.
- Atomicom Limited
- Bethesda Softworks LLC.
- Big Ant Studios
- Black Forest Games GmbH
- Bloober Team S.A.
- CD PROJEKT S.A.
- CI Games S.A.
- Disney Interactive Studios
- Electronic Arts Inc.
- Farsight Studios
- Focus Home Interactive
- Frozenbyte Oy.
- FuturLab Ltd.
- Gaijin Entertainment
- Halfbrick Studios Pty Ltd.
- Image & Form
- MILESTONES co., ltd.
- Nordic Games GmbH
- Paradox Interactive
- Sony DADC US Inc.
- Take-Two Interactive
- Ubisoft Entertainment
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.