Final Fantasy 7, 9, 10, And 12 Will Be On Nintendo Switch And Xbox One In 2019
The modern-era of Final Fantasy makes its Nintendo debut.
During the recent Nintendo Direct, Square-Enix announced plans to release Final Fantasy VII, IX, the X and X-2 remaster, and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age for the Nintendo Switch. Coming later in 2019, the series' most iconic entries will make their longtime debut on Nintendo platforms, offering fans the chance to play the long-running series in a new way.
Though the series found its footing on Nintendo platforms, it eventually moved to the PlayStation 1, with all following main entries remaining on non-Nintendo platforms since, including PS4, PC, and Xbox One. The last major release of a core Final Fantasy game on Nintendo platforms was Final Fantasy VI on the Super Nintendo. The announcement of today's re-releases on Switch is notable for the fact that it shows the largest focus the series has had on a Nintendo platform in sometime.
Not much else is known at this time, aside from the fact that they will be the most recent ports of each game from other consoles and Steam, and that they will also release on Xbox One as well. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age in particular is a standout, which is a port of 2017's stellar re-release. Along with these ports, we also saw news of Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition--originally on mobile--in addition to an enhanced port of the FF compilation game World of Final Fantasy and updated Crystal Chronicles making their way to the portable console.
There was much more announced during the recent Nintendo Direct, including the release of Katamari Damacy Reroll, and a new Animal Crossing game for the Switch, and a special bundle for Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- Animal Crossing On Nintendo Switch Is Finally Happening
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey Is Coming To Switch In Japan As A Streaming Game
- Luigi's Mansion 3 Announced For Nintendo Switch, Will Have 2019 Release
- Nintendo Direct Shares More Switch Online Service Details
- Katamari Damacy Remaster Coming To Nintendo Switch In 2018
- Mario Tennis Aces Adds Shy Guy And Birdo Along With Co-op Modes
- Civilization 6 For Nintendo Switch Confirmed During Nintendo Direct
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe Coming To Nintendo Switch In 2019
- Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age Coming To Nintendo Switch
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.