Epic Games Store Finally Adds Mod Support
After recently implementing an early form of achievements, the Epic Games Store has now begun adding mod support.
The Epic Games Store recently began testing achievement functionality by adding an early form of the highly requested feature to Ark: Survival Evolved. Now, the storefront has introduced another important feature in the form of mod support for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries.
Much like the Epic Games Store's achievements, this is an early implementation of a feature that will eventually make its way to more games as Epic irons out the kinks. An update has rolled out to support the newly added feature, and there are already numerous mods available to download.
Mod support is now in beta on the Epic Games Store, starting with Mechwarrior 5.— Epic Games Store (@EpicGames) July 30, 2020
This is an early iteration of the feature, but you can expect to see more titles supported in the future. Keep an eye out! https://t.co/Pmgy9tkI8O
"We are extremely excited to announce that MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is the first game to participate in the Beta launch of Epic Games Store Mods," developer Piranha Games said in a statement. "With this release, discovering and installing MW5 Mods made by the amazing modding community will be easier than ever, integrated directly into the existing Epic Games Launcher."
The studio has highlighted some of the standout mods available now, including:
- MechCommander Mercenaries by the MCM Team is a recently-announced and highly ambitious real-time strategy conversion of MW5. A complete genre change like this really speaks to the capabilities and flexibility of making mods for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in the Unreal Engine!
- MW5 Mercs Reloaded by NavidA1, the most prolific creator in the MW5 Modding community, is not just a near ground-up expansion of 'Mechs and the MechLab, but an ongoing rework of many core systems and a collection of great quality-of-life improvements.
- MercTech by MagnumForceGB is a comprehensive overhaul of many core mechanics related to 'Mechs and the MechLab, introducing an array of new weapons, equipment, and features inspired by traditional BattleTech systems and rules.
- The TableTopRulez Lancemate and Enemy AI Mods by Oraeon1224 are two significant expansions on the AI systems in MW5, bringing greater complexity and visible levels of intelligence to the in-mission AI.
- The MW5 Mod Compatibility Pack by Sketch is an amazing effort to increase compatibility between disparate Mods, enabling creators to focus their work and coordinate with other creators to unlock even greater potential in their Mods.
To check out the mods currently available, head to the MechWarrior 5 page on the Epic Games Store and you'll see a drop-down menu for "Mods" at the top of the screen, allowing you to either browse existing mods or jump straight into the game's modding toolkit. The mod editor is now included as part of the game and will appear in your library.
Epic announced back in June that the Epic Games Store had hit a peak of 61 million monthly users. This followed a promotion where several major games were given to users for free, including Grand Theft Auto V, Civilization VI, Ark: Survival Evolved, and Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. The store also continues to give away free games every week, too.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.