EA Exec Teases Star Wars Battlefront 2, Jade Raymond's Action Game, And New BioWare Game
Battlefront 2 is "dramatically larger" than the first game.
Speaking during the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference today, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen shared some new commentary on Star Wars Battlefront 2 and other EA games.
For the Battlefront sequel, which has been confirmed but not officially announced, Jorgensen said the game is "dramatically larger" than the 2015 original. The game will feature "a lot of new characters" that come from the newer Star Wars movies, Jorgensen teased.
The 2015 Battlefront featured characters and content from the original Star Wars movies, as well as Star Wars: Rogue One, which is a prequel to the 1977 original.
"The Star Wars universe is just unbelievable to build games in because it's so vast," Jorgensen said.
The untitled Battlefront sequel will also have a single-player campaign, which is being made by Motive Studios.
On the subject of BioWare's mystery new IP, Jorgensen teased that this will be "more sci-fi-related." This follows from what EA CEO Andrew Wilson said earlier this year.
"When you think about this game, you should be thinking about the great RPG character development and storyline progression that BioWare is known for, but in a world of greater action and greater adventure, which is growing to be one of the larger categories in games," he said.
Also during the call, Jorgensen offered a number of other updates on EA's upcoming games and more. Here are some takeaways:
- Many of the elements that made FIFA 17 successful will be added to Madden NFL 18. This could be a reference to FIFA 17's The Journey single-player mode. Madden 18 will be made using Frostbite.
- Battlefield 1 is seeing "fantastic" engagement levels.
- It's "very early days" for Assassin's Creed producer Jade Raymond's new action game, but the goal is for it to become a new franchise.
- Losing Peter Moore is a big deal, but it was a good opportunity for Moore to take his dream job of becoming the CEO of Liverpool FC.
- The new Star Wars action game will be "exploration-based."
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.