E3 2020 Event Calendar: Xbox, Ubisoft, And More Upcoming Game Events
E3 2020 may have been canceled, but there will still be a number of digital gaming events and showcases over the summer; here's everything confirmed so far.
Like many other live events scheduled to take place this year, E3 2020 has been canceled due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. This marks the first time in the expo's 20-plus-year history that a physical event will not take place in June, but there will still be plenty of gaming news and announcements to look forward to this summer.
While some of these events have even been bumped past their previously scheduled dates--including a World of Warcraft: Shadowlands reveal, which has been moved from June 9--we'll be keeping this calendar of events, past and upcoming, as up to date as possible as the E3 replacement streams roll out.
What Is Happening Instead Of E3 This Year?
Although the ESA--the company that organizes E3--will not hold a digital alternative to E3 itself, a number of game publishers have announced they'll be hosting their own events and showcases throughout the summer. Microsoft, Ubisoft, Limited Run Games, and Devolver Digital are among the companies that have expressed intentions to follow this route.
In the lead up to Xbox Series X's launch, Microsoft will air a monthly series of streams called Xbox 20/20. This month's presentation will take place on July 23 and focus on first-party Xbox Series X titles. Ubisoft, meanwhile, will hold a Ubisoft Forward digital event on July 12, while Devolver's Devolver Direct presentation will air one day prior, on July 11.
As we move deeper into the summer and events continue, we should get a better view of what the next-generation console launches are going to look like. It's also likely we will learn more about games from key publishers that haven't held their own press conferences or events yet, such as Nintendo and Square Enix. The latter is skipping one long show this year in favor of individual game announcements. These will occur throughout July and August. The publisher hasn't indicated which games to expect.
E3 2021 News & Announcements
- E3 2021: Schedule, Participants, And What To Expect
- Xbox & Bethesda E3 Showcase Announcements: Starfield, Halo Infinite, Diablo 2
- Nintendo Direct E3 2021 Announcements: Breath Of The Wild 2, Metroid Dread, Advance Wars
- E3 2021 Games Confirmed So Far
- Ubisoft Forward E3 2021 Announcements: Far Cry 6, Mario + Rabbids 2, Avatar
- Square Enix E3 2021 Stream Announcements: Guardians Of The Galaxy, Final Fantasy Origin, Babylon's Fall
Although Nintendo typically airs a Nintendo Direct presentation ahead of E3 every June, that may not be the case this year. Reports have circulated that the company will be delaying its annual June Direct due to "complications" that have arisen from the COVID-19 pandemic. Nintendo itself has not made any official announcements yet, but these reports say the Direct is expected to air "late in the summer."
Square Enix, meanwhile, says it will hold individual game announcements rather than a big E3-style event. As we saw during the recent Marvel's Avengers War Table, these smaller, more focused streams let the publisher go further in-depth than it could with traditional conferences, showing more gameplay and features than was previously possible.
Beyond game publishers, a number of other digital gaming events will be taking place this year. The Game Awards host Geoff Keighly has announced the Summer Game Fest, which will run from May to August and encompass limited-time demos, game reveals, and more. The Guerilla Collective Live event has been pushed to June 13 but a separate event focused on black game creators was held on Sunday, June 7. GameSpot is also hosting our own multi-week event called Play For All, which will feature gaming news, interviews, and previews while also raising money for COVID-19 relief efforts.
E3 2020 Replacement Events Schedule
- Guerrilla Collective Black Voices in Gaming -- 10 AM PT / 1 PM ET
- PS5 Reveal Event -- 1 PM PT / 4 PM ET
- Guerrilla Collective Live -- 9 AM PT / noon ET
- PC Gaming Show -- 11 AM PT / 2 PM ET
- Future Games Show -- 2 PM PT / 5 PM ET
- Guerrilla Collective Day 2
- Guerrilla Collective Day 3
- Steam Summer Game Festival -- June 16 through June 22
- EA Play Live 2020 -- 4 PM PT / 7 PM ET
- New Game+ Expo -- 8 AM PT / 11 AM ET
- Pokemon Presents Event
- Avengers War Table Stream
- Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire
- BitSummit Gaiden
- Devolver Direct
- Ubisoft Forward -- 12 PM PT / 3 PM ET
- Xbox Games Showcase -- 9 AM PT / 12 PM ET