E3 2019: Halo Infinite Is An Xbox Series X Launch Title, Coming Holiday 2020
Halo Infinite is on the way.
One of Microsoft's biggest reveals during its E3 2019 briefing was a new story trailer for Halo Infinite and confirmation that it'll be an Xbox Scarlett (now called Xbox Series X) launch title in Holiday 2020.
The release date in 2020 is a big deal for a number of reasons. By that time, it will have been more than 5 years after the release of Halo 5: Guardians in 2015 (assuming Infinite launches after October 2020). Not only that, but Halo hasn't been a launch title for new Xbox hardware since all the way back in 2001 with the original Halo: Combat Evolved.
Halo Infinite is in development at 343 Industries, and it runs on the studio's brand-new Slipspace game engine. Studio director Chris Lee appeared on the Inside Xbox livestream at E3 where he talked about how 343's bold ambition for Halo Infinite might not have been possible with the Halo franchise's previous game engine. He also talked about how the Slipspace engine is aimed at supporting Halo titles for 10 years to come.
Lee also confirmed that the Halo Infinite trailer from Microsoft's E3 briefing was in fact the opening cinematic from the game. It showed Master Chief in a bad way, but no one can kill Master Chief, and he returns with an ambition to restore order to the galaxy (or something like that). Microsoft has yet to show any actual gameplay, however, and there is no word on what changes or advancements are coming on the multiplayer side.
Halo Infinite is a launch title for Xbox Scarlett, but it will also play on any of the Xbox One family of consoles. And in a big move for the franchise, Halo Infinite will be available on PC.
For lots more on Halo Infinite, check out the stories below.
- E3 2019: Halo Infinite Will Release On Xbox One, In Addition To Scarlett (And PC)
- Xbox Scarlett Console Has Halo Infinite As A Launch Title, And Here's Why That's A Big Deal
- E3 2019: Halo Infinite Trailer Contains A Secret--And It's Xbox Game Pass Codes
- More Halo Infinite Details Emerge At E3, But Microsoft Won't Say Much More For A Long Time
- New Halo Infinite Xbox Scarlett At E3 2019 Showed No Gameplay, But It Was Still Exciting
- Xbox Scarlett Releasing In 2020 With Halo Infinite As A Launch Title
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org