Doom Eternal Update 1 Out Now On Xbox One, PS4, And PC
Doom Eternal's first patch notes include details about new gameplay modes, quality-of-life updates, and more.
Doom Eternal's first update is now live for Xbox One, PS4, and PC, introducing new gameplay features, additional multiplayer levelling, and a host of quality of life fixes. The patch notes also highlight issues being tackled in the near future.
Headlining the update is the addition of Empowered Demons. When playing through Doom Eternal's campaign, any demons that kill you can now be transported to other player's games as stronger, more formidable foes. If your game is invaded by such an enemy, you can avenge your fellow demon slayer for additional XP for in-game rewards, as well as a bounty of health and ammo.
This first update also introduces the Precious Metals Event, which rewards you with in-game cosmetics the more you play through both the campaign and the multiplayer BattleMode. For dedicated multiplayer fans, Doom Eternal now also features additional Echelon Levels for you to work towards. Once you hit level 250 you can opt to reset your rank in exchange for another rank insignia. You keep your gear through level resets.
Additional tweaks included updated tutorials for BattleMode, as well as better iconography to help you choose the right online session for your connection type and location. On PC, the patch also introduces a new anti-cheat system that uses a kernel-mode driver, but id Software notes that it will not run while Doom Eternal is not open. The update also fixes a variety of bugs, while id Software has noted existing issues that it plans to address in future patches.
You can read the full patch notes below:
Doom Eternal Update 1 Patch Notes
New Features for PC
- Added Denuvo Anti-Cheat software required for playing BATTLEMODE on PC
- Denuvo Anti-Cheat uses a kernel-mode driver
Single Player Campaign Quality-of-Life Updates for ALL platforms
- Reduced damage taken while swimming
- Added vertical Dash ability when in water
- Moved the Rad Suit in Taras Nabad directly in-front of the water area so the player clearly sees it when entering the arena
- Removed all difficulty damage scaling for both Water/Slime
- Added Maykr Drone campaign tutorial during first encounter in Urdak
- Added an option for Hold (Default) or Press functionality for Double Dash in the Game tab of the Main Menu Options. Hold allows the player to dash twice by holding the input. Press requires the player to press the input twice.
- Increased the effectiveness of the Plasma Rifle Microwave Mod damage over time
BATTLEMODE Quality-of-Life Updates for ALL platforms
- BATTLEMODE Tutorials are now required for first-time players when entering the mode
- Added functionality to take disciplinary action against players who exploit BATTLEMODE by prematurely exiting matches or are abusive on voice chat
- BATTLEMODE Death Report Deaths in BATTLEMODE now display a damage report showing players exactly what killed them
- New Indicator for Healing Demon Players New FX display under player headers in BATTLEMODE when they are actively healing. This is visible to all players.
- New Messaging in BATTLEMODE has been added to improve the clarity of server and lobby states
- New Network Icons in BATTLEMODE will display when network conditions introduce latency or packet loss. The Network Icons are as follows:
- Latency Variation : Your latency is fluctuating inconsistently, which will cause intermittent lag (see High Latency)
- High Latency : The time it takes for data to travel between you and the server is high. Also referred to as a high "ping", and results in lag.
- Packet Loss : Higher packet loss means more data is being lost between you and the server.
Balance Changes for ALL platforms
- Removed the damage reduction when the wolf is summoned
- Increased wolf-summoning cool down from 21 seconds to 24 seconds
Balance changes for Console only
- Teleport cooldown increased from 4.5 seconds to 5.5 seconds
- Flame Wall Shield duration decreased from 4.0 seconds to 3.5 seconds
- Soul Shield duration decreased from 4.0 seconds to 3.5 seconds
Fixes for ALL Platforms
- Fixed an issue so that now all customized character and weapon skins appear correctly all the time
- Fixed an art issue with one of the bodies in Urdak causing it to display improperly
- Fixed an issue which would cause the Slayer’s hand to become stuck in place when switching weapons while picking up the frag grenade
- Fixed an issue where using the IDKFA cheat code in Mission Select could cause weapons mods to equip on top of each other
- Fixed an issue which would cause the rocket launcher to be removed from the player’s arsenal when quitting the game immediately after completing the combat sequence where it’s acquired in Cultist Base
- Fixed an issue in Exultia where progress could become blocked after dying or quitting immediately before the doors open to the Sentinel plaza
- Fixed an issue in BATTLEMODE where Marauder skins would display incorrectly during animations outside of gameplay
- Fixed an issue in BATTLEMODE where the end of match scoreboard inaccurately represented player scores during the match
- Fixed a rare issue in BATTLEMODE on the Penance map that would cause black artifacts to obscure player vision
- Fixed an issue which would cause Slayer Gate keys to disappear on first playthrough of a level after activating a cheat code
- Fixed a rare crash for when demon players load into the Extraction map from a post-match lobby in BATTLEMODE
- Fixed an issue in BATTLEMODE where BFG kills would fail to increment Weapons Expert
- Fixed a rare crash in BATTLEMODE where a Slayer quitting could result in one or both Demon’s game crashing
- Fixed an issue in BATTLEMODE in which players would sometimes spawn outside of the map at match start
- Improved messaging system to provide more clarity on any online services issues players may be experiencing
- Fixed a crash when loading into Mars Core directly from the Fortress of DOOM
- Fixed an issue in which the default Slayer hands would appear when color variants of the classic DOOM Marine skin were equipped while using classic weapon pose
- Fixed issue in which the Chromatic Aberration settings reset after quitting the game
- The Barrel Blast challenge now increments correctly when killing demons by shooting barrels
- The Blood Puncher challenge no longer increments past the goal limit of 20
- Fixed issue in which the number of completed Milestones displayed was not accurate for some players
- Fixed issue in which doors in the Fortress of DOOM were sometimes invisible
- Fixed issue in which players could not complete Taras Nabad after fast traveling to the Slayer Gate and reloading that checkpoint
- The Arc Complex Master Level summary screen now shows the correct XP gained
- The flame VFX now show up correctly for the Demonic Slayer skin on climbable walls
- Fixed issue in which power-ups were not working correctly during 4th round BATTLEMODE matches
- Fixed an issue in which the demon summon icons would flash briefly for some users at the start of BATTLEMODE rounds
- Fixed an issue in which the player would become locked in a melee animation when rapidly switching to Chainsaw/Crucible, immediately followed by a melee attack
- Fixed issue in which the AutoMap was appearing dim for PC users while running in HDR display mode
- Fixes for PC only
- Anti-cheat bans will be issued more aggressively starting with this Update
- Players who are identified to be cheating will be notified that they are blocked from all multiplayer content
- Fixed a crash on some older graphics cards while running in Fullscreen mode
- Removed AMD HDR warning message on startup (AMD has since fixed the issue with their current release drivers)
- Fixed an issue in which changing to Borderless Windowed mode, then alt-tabbing would sort the game behind other open windows
- Fixed an issue that caused the Windows taskbar to display when alt-tabbing while in Borderless Windowed mode
- Fixed an issue in which the Lost Souls from the Pain Elemental’s Soul Shield moved erratically with V-Sync disabled
- Fixes for Console only
- Fixed a crash when launching DOOM or DOOM II from the Slayer's retro computer in the Fortress of DOOM
- Fixes for Stadia only
- Reduced input latency
- Issue: Alt+Tabbing in Windowed mode then immediately using the left click will cause keyboard inputs to become unresponsive
- Resolution: Alt-tabbing in and out again typically resolves this issue
- Issue: In BATTLEMODE when The Slayer is swapping Mods as the round ends, this may cause the mod to break at the start of the next round
- Resolution: Swap mods or weapons at the start of the next round to resolve
- Issue: In BATTLEMODE, the Super Shotgun's Meat Hook mod may stop working if you Chainsaw a demon immediately after using it.
- Resolution: Swap mods or weapons at the start of the next round to resolve
- Issue: Low Health VFX may persist on the HUD when a demon player is resurrected by ally Demon Player
- Resolution: The resolution for this is coming in a future update
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org