Diablo 4 - Grim Favors And Whispers Of The Dead Guide
Acquire Grim Favors for the Tree of Whispers in Diablo 4.
The Diablo 4 Whispers of the Dead and Grim Favors are a type of endgame activity that you can partake in once you've completed the campaign. In it, you'll complete tasks, akin to bounties, to earn rewards. Here's our guide to help you with the Whispers of the Dead and Grim Favors in Diablo 4. Likewise, since we're discussing an endgame activity, this article will contain minor spoilers.
Diablo 4 Grim Favors and Whispers of the Dead guide
Unlocking the Tree of Whispers
Once you're finished with the campaign, a notification will pop up telling you about Diablo 4's endgame activities. These include Helltide Events, Nightmare Dungeons, the Capstone Dungeon to unlock World Tiers, and, of course, the Whispers of the Dead.
For the Diablo 4 Whispers of the Dead objective, you'll need to head to the Tree of Whispers. Don't worry since this is a landmark that you'll visit in the region of Hawezar as part of the story. Now, though, with the campaign over, the tree, as well as a particular denizen, provide new tasks for you.
Whisper of the Dead Activities and obtaining Grim Favors
Think of the Diablo 4 Whispers of the Dead tasks as akin to bounties. Each task adds a certain number of Grim Favors or points. The main goal is to amass 10 Grim Favors. This is shown via a bar when you open your map.
At the start, only the sub-zone of Caldeum is available, as it acts as a primer for what you can expect. Here are some examples of bounties and the Grim Favors they reward:
- Complete a dungeon: +5 Grim Favors.
- Harvest a zone: +3 Grim Favors - Kill enemies in the sub-zone and pick up their Venous Motes (i.e., essences/orbs). While playing the review build, we noticed that essences only drop from kills on the overworld map, not from those inside dungeons or cellars.
- Clear a cellar: +1 Grim Favor.
- Complete an event: +1 Grim Favor.
- Kill an elite: +1 Grim Favor - Find a specific elite in an area and defeat it.
- Cull an enemy type: +1 Grim Favor - Slay a number of a certain enemy type (i.e., Caldeum Knights).
- Finish a Ritual: +3 Grim Favors - Interact with X number of altars in a zone.
- Defeat a World Boss: +5 Grim Favors.
The Harvest objective and Altar of Reaping
The Harvest bounty in a particular zone can be done as you're also tackling other objectives. For instance, let's say you'd want to do an event and take out an elite. While you're doing those, the enemies you eliminate on the overworld map will also drop Venous Motes. These look like flaming red orbs, and you can pick them up.
Upon reaching the required number of motes (i.e. 100), head to the marked location to activate the Altar of Reaping. This will cause at least three elites to spawn. After defeating them, you'll earn +3 Grim Favors.
Maximum Grim Favors and obtaining your rewards
As mentioned earlier, you'll need 10 Grim Favors before you can turn in the quest to the Tree of Whispers. Here are some other things to keep in mind:
- Upon reaching 10 Grim Favors, other Whispers of the Dead bounties will be locked, which means you won't gain additional points until you turn in the quest. However, excess points do carry over afterward. For instance, let's say you have nine Grim Favors and you finished a required dungeon (for a total of 14 Grim Favors). After returning to the Tree of Whispers, you should still have the remaining four Grim Favors.
- The Diablo 4 Whispers of the Dead activity will have three reward bundles to choose from. These tell you the type of items you can expect (i.e. the "Collection of Chestplates" will often drop chest armor). If you see a legendary option, that means a legendary item of that type is guaranteed. If not, then you'll need to rely on RNG. Higher World Tiers, naturally, improve your chances of getting legendaries to drop.
- After you turn in your Grim Favors for the first time, numerous bounties will begin to appear in other regions and sub-zones, including those in PvP areas like the Fields of Hatred.
- Bear in mind that all bounties across all regions have a one hour and 30 minute time limit. Once that elapses, a new batch will appear on the world map.
Diablo 4 has numerous classes, mechanics, and activities. For more about the game, you can visit our D4 guides hub.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.