Destiny Reaches 16 Million Registered Users, Call of Duty Franchise Hits $11 Billion
New milestones for Activision's shooter games announced today as part of latest earnings report.
Top New Games Releasing On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week -- April 21-27 2019 Assassin's Creed Odyssey: The Fate Of Atlantis DLC Extended Gameplay How God Of War PS4's Most Impactful Moment Almost Didn’t Happen Game Of Thrones Season 8 Episode 2 "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" Breakdown! Fortnite Gets Avengers Endgame Event This Week - GS News Update Every Fatality In Mortal Kombat 11 Shiny Meltan Is Coming To Pokemon Go For A Limited Time Mortal Kombat 11 Announces Its Latest Character Named Frost - GS News Update Mortal Kombat 11 Quick Review In Progress Video Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Shinobi Tools Will Be More Strategic - GS News Update Mortal Kombat 11 - Official Frost Gameplay Reveal Trailer Kingdom Hearts 3 Critical Mode Gets Release Date - GS News Update
Two of Activision's shooter franchises have achieved new milestones. As part of the company's latest earnings report, the publisher on Thursday announced that Destiny has now reached more than 16 million registered users, up from 9.5 million last quarter.
"Active" Destiny players are spending, on average, more than three hours in the game every day, Activision added. Overall, Activision calls Destiny the "most successful launch of a new video game franchise in history." The game was also the top-selling new IP for 2014.
Meanwhile, Activision's other major shooter series, Call of Duty, has now reached total lifetime revenue of more than $11 billion in retail sales since the game originally launched in 2003. The most recent entry in the series was November 2014's Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.
Some other highlights from Activision's earnings report today:
- World of Warcraft expansion Warlords of Draenor sold 3.3 million copies in 24 hours.
- World of Warcraft had 10 million worldwide subscribers at the end of 2014.
- Destiny and HearthStone: Heroes of Warcraft combined to attract more than 40 million registered players, together generating more than $850 million in revenue.
- Skylanders Trap Team was the top-selling kids console game globally for the calendar year.
- 9 million people have signed up to beta test Heroes of the Storm.
- New Call of Duty game coming from Treyarch in 2015.
- Destiny getting "major content release" this fall.
- Life-to-date retail sales for Skylanders have exceeded $3 billion. More than 240 million toys have been sold worldwide.
Fourth Quarter Earnings (Three Months Ended December 31, 2014):
- $2.21 billion in revenue, down from $2.27 billion during the same quarter a year prior.
- $698 million in profit, up from $621 million in profit during the same quarter last year.
Full-Year Earnings (12 Months Ended December 31, 2014):
- $4.8 billion in revenue, compared to $4.3 billion for the year prior.
- $1 billion in profit, compared to $999 million last year.
- Net revenue from digital channels was $2.2 billion, accounting for a record 46 percent of the company's total net revenue.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com