Destiny Reaches 16 Million Registered Users, Call of Duty Franchise Hits $11 Billion
New milestones for Activision's shooter games announced today as part of latest earnings report.
Top New Game Releases On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week -- June 23-29 2019 Return To Resident Evil 2 Remake - Resident Kinevil Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Is Live Now - GS News Update Disney's The Lion King - Can You Feel The Love Tonight TV Spot Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Has "Select" Dismemberment - GS News Update Destiny 2: Penumbra - Where Is Xur? Exotic Vendor Location Guide (6/21 - 6/25) Judgment Video Review Monster Hunter World: Iceborne: Public Beta - Banbaro Hunt Gameplay Netflix's Neon Genesis Evangelion Is Missing Key Components - GS News Update My Friend Pedro - S-Rank Bananas Difficulty Gameplay Avengers: Endgame Coming Back To Theaters With New After-Credits Footage - GS Universe News Update The Evolution of Pixar's Toy Story
Two of Activision's shooter franchises have achieved new milestones. As part of the company's latest earnings report, the publisher on Thursday announced that Destiny has now reached more than 16 million registered users, up from 9.5 million last quarter.
"Active" Destiny players are spending, on average, more than three hours in the game every day, Activision added. Overall, Activision calls Destiny the "most successful launch of a new video game franchise in history." The game was also the top-selling new IP for 2014.
Meanwhile, Activision's other major shooter series, Call of Duty, has now reached total lifetime revenue of more than $11 billion in retail sales since the game originally launched in 2003. The most recent entry in the series was November 2014's Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.
Some other highlights from Activision's earnings report today:
- World of Warcraft expansion Warlords of Draenor sold 3.3 million copies in 24 hours.
- World of Warcraft had 10 million worldwide subscribers at the end of 2014.
- Destiny and HearthStone: Heroes of Warcraft combined to attract more than 40 million registered players, together generating more than $850 million in revenue.
- Skylanders Trap Team was the top-selling kids console game globally for the calendar year.
- 9 million people have signed up to beta test Heroes of the Storm.
- New Call of Duty game coming from Treyarch in 2015.
- Destiny getting "major content release" this fall.
- Life-to-date retail sales for Skylanders have exceeded $3 billion. More than 240 million toys have been sold worldwide.
Fourth Quarter Earnings (Three Months Ended December 31, 2014):
- $2.21 billion in revenue, down from $2.27 billion during the same quarter a year prior.
- $698 million in profit, up from $621 million in profit during the same quarter last year.
Full-Year Earnings (12 Months Ended December 31, 2014):
- $4.8 billion in revenue, compared to $4.3 billion for the year prior.
- $1 billion in profit, compared to $999 million last year.
- Net revenue from digital channels was $2.2 billion, accounting for a record 46 percent of the company's total net revenue.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email firstname.lastname@example.org